Living in Limbo

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Feeling so confused and emotional today.  I don't know what we are supposed to be doing.  Mum has Stage 4 Breast Cancer.  18 months diagnosed.  Stable at present.  Should I be preparing myself or getting on with normal life?  Do we call this terminal?  Everyone around just makes me feel like I'm the only one with a problem.  I just cannot abide not talking about the Cancer.  Then I feel selfish and guilty, it's not my cancer to talk about.  My Dad is of the view 'mum's driving and going to meet a friend for coffee, all is just marvellous' whereas my concern is, she's been in the car and unable to control her bowel, if that happens while driving and causes an accident?  I'm fed up thoroughly fed up.

• You need proper advice and to talk this out with a professional. What I would do is write yourself a list of things you need answers to, (I say this because from experience I always forget something ). I would then contact macmillan to see if they can help you further, they really are the best people to start with. Unless she has given permission, her GP will not be allowed to discuss it with you, so MacMillan is a good starting point. As I understand it, stage 4 is not always terminal but I am sure someone with more knowledge will reply to you on that. Do not feel selfish or guilty, you are on this journey too and your feelings and opinions are just as valid. Sending hugs x