Mum of daughter with cervical cancer

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi I’m a 56 year old mum of a daughter with cancer. My beautiful girl
Was diagnosed with cervical cancer in June 2022. She had to have a radical hysterectomy, as it had spread to the lymph node. 
Because she had not yet had a family, nor met a partner, she had fertility treatment after the hysterectomy and had 6 of her eggs frozen. Hoping one day we will find a surrogate to have her babies.

A few weeks after the egg retrieval she got pneumonia and became extremely ill. Thankfully she recovered. Focussing back on the cancer,  Clatterbridge decided that she would need 7 weeks of radiotherapy, every day. Plus chemo on Mondays. As everyone who have had treatment, that’s hard work. She completed treatment on 9th December. We were then told we had to wait 12 weeks for her next scan. Which was March 2023. 

In Feb 23 she had terrible stomach pain and was admitted to hospital. She was given three different iv antibiotics for diverticulitis. She recovered within a couple of weeks, thankfully.

Her next PET and MRI scan results to see how well the treatment has worked were in March 23 . 
The results from the PET and MRI have shown a thickening on the vagina and also highlighting on the abdominal wall. Disease hasn’t yet been confirmed. The oncologist and surgeons said we should watch and wait for 8 weeks. They are planning a scan for 20th May. They say if this is cancer they won’t be cutting it out. They will give more chemo. 
I am trying hard to keep my faith and stay hopeful, but if this is disease, it’s been growing whilst she has had treatment, hence I’ve lost faith in the treatment working for this type of cancer. 
From the beginning they have said this is an aggressive, fast growing cancer, that is poorly differentiated. 
I’ve spent a year trying to understand it all and come to terms with what’s happening.

Is there anyone with a similar story who have had a positive outcome? I need some reassurance and most of all, my beautiful girl too. 
my biggest fear is if they turn round and say it’s somewhere else and she’s palliative. I’m so sorry, as I know many cancer sufferers are palliative. 

sorry for the very long message, but that’s my story to date. 
Thank you for taking the time to read.