Feelings

• 5 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hello, my mum was diagnosed with primary lung cancer and secondary brain mets in August of last year. It was a complete bolt from the blue and has changed our lives. 

Things started off pretty well with nothing much really changing, until around Christmas when things started to deteriorate. Mum's been on immunotherapy since September and has seen good results however at the beginning of February we were told on a Friday that she needed emergency brain surgery to 'debulk' the tumour. Off we went to hospital on the Sunday and 24 hours later she was in for majot brain surgery. The operation went well however unfortunately mum has been left with significant sight loss. The support we've received from the council etc has been great but not only are we now living with cancer, we're also dealing with having a partially sighted mum. 

In addition to the surgery (which went well) mum underwent radiotherapy targeted at the tumour sight around 6 weeks ago which has left her completely and utterly exhausted. She's been pretty much housebound since around 4 weeks ago, has little to no appetite and is a shell of her former self. My sister and I spend any and all of our free time with my mum but both lead hectic lives with full time jobs plus being newly married I'm conscious of not completely ignoring my husband (who is and has always been, fantastic with everything). Mum's never wanted a prognosis therefore we are competely unaware of where we are in this rollercoaster and dont know if the way mum is just now is a side effect of the radiotherapy or is it that we have moved onto the next 'phase'. 

I feel so helpless and can't shake the anchor that sits on my stomach and chest pretty much all of the time. I feel like I'm in a tunnel, unsure of how long it is and unable to see any light at the moment.

I suppose I'm not really asking for help but just wanted to share my story and to feel less alone in this battle. 

• Hi Jenbo

Just wanted to reach out. Our situations sound similar. My mum was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer 5 years ago. It had already spread to bones when they discovered it. 

• Sorry had to register …..

My mum doesn’t want a prognosis either so we have no idea if time scales. My sister and I also spend all available time with her. My mum has just spent two weeks upstairs and was admitted due to vomiting three days ago. It is a horrific roller coaster to ride. People suggested asking mum for permission to speak to her oncologist about her situation. When I asked he said ‘no’ but maybe your mum would grant permission for oncologist to speak to you. I know they can’t say for certain. But I feel like there must come a point when they should give family an indication of what is happening and time scales. We don’t know whether to get family to visit or not. I’m off to the hospital but I’ll check in later. Take care 

• Forgot to say 6 months ago mums cancer spread to liver and has been growing since. We also don’t know whether or chronic fatigue is due to side effects of treatment or disease progression or both. And feel it is difficult to know where to ask questions because she doesn’t ask them 

• Thanks so much for your reply Lou. Sounds like we're in a very similar situation, I'm so sorry to hear about your mum.

We've already spoken to my mum about the permission thing but she's also a solid no. My mum's words are it goes in a box and we don't open the box until we have to. But at what point do we have to? I know this sounds so selfish and I can hear it in myself but it's the simple things, do we go on holiday? Do we go out with our friends and try to enjoy ourselves? We have no idea where we are in this horrendous journey and the not knowing is torture. 

I've just had a good chat with the hospice nurse here to help my mum and she's suggested a couple of services which my sister and I could use for support. I really appreciate it but still feel lost. Feel like we're losing who we are and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it. 

Hope the hospital visit goes ok, thinking of you all.

• Very similar for how I feel today.  My mum didn't want to know timescales either and I didn't think knowing would help.  But I find it hard.  I just don't know what I'm meant to be doing.  I can't 'get on' with normal, because I feel the rug can be pulled away at any minute.  Today has been a real wobble of a day