Feeling so tired...

• 67 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Can anyone tell me if its normal to feel so tired when you are caring for your partner who has cancer? Its been four months of constant stress and worry, watching him in pain rtc...and taking on extra responsibilities.  Jumping every time he sounds in pain.  Disturbed sleep at times;  cant stop thinking in the middle of the night.  Trying to be the cheerful, optimistic one. Most days Im so tired now and wonder if its the constant worrying and stress.  Treatment is just about to start and I feel at the end of my tether already, and wonder how I will cope with all his health issues during treatment, and even more worry and work falling on me.  it sounds awful to say it but I just feel like running away and never having to worry about another person again...totally unrealistic I know (Not that I would!)
Are these feeling normal? And more to the point, what can I do to feel better? I do have coffee times with friends, to get out now and then, but it still doesn't help this tiredness and stressy feeling.

i welcome any advice from others who have been through it and come out the other side! Many thanks x

• Hi Chicadee16, thank you for reply and sorry not getting back sooner.  The local hospice offers free counselling but it's too far to go.  Hugs to you as well xx

• Hi Sue, I'm sorry, I know you were not replying to me but I just wanted you to know that I know how you feel. I cry every day for my "old life" I miss it so much. I keep hoping I will wake up and its just a bad dream. They gave me a folder full of info but I couldnt read it either. Its scary thinking of all th jobs that you will now have to take on, it can be very overwhelming. Just wanted to send you a hug x

• Thank you Crystalwitch for kind words.  I think others have posted similar feelings too.  My hubby has only a few months left and even as I write this I still can't believe what I have said.  Thanks for the hugs and sending some back. xx Sue

• Hi, I am sorry, wish I could give you a hug. I know it's different as it's my mum I am losing but it has been the two of us, ever since we lost my brother and dad. Like you I have cut the grass and tired to do some gardening, never been my thing but it was always so important to my mum. She didn't even register when I showed her the photos of the garden. It's still just the two of us we don't have any carers as she doesn't want them,  like you I can't accept it I know what's coming sooner rather than later but can't talk about because if I do then I'll fall apart and I can't not yet.This week she became a great nan again and it was mine and my brothers birthday, hardest week of my life but she is in her own world. Life can be so cruel. Sending lots of love x

• I can't think of all the jobs that have to be done. It's too overwhelming. The future is a dark place right now and far too much to cope with. I hour at a time that's all I'm letting myself deal with. Sending you lots of hugs and thinking of you x

• Totally understand that feeling of overwhelm. An hour at a time is a good plan. I am now at the stage where I get to the end of each day and think thats one more day closer to feeling better. Tiny steps is all you need to do x

• I think an hour at a time is all I'm capable of at the moment. I lay that at night and worry about everything, the present and future. I have to check every hour, if it's too quiet I worry about what I will find. Last night I sat on the floor by her bed just in case. X