Shock

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

My wife 52 found a lump in her breast approximately 2 weeks ago, went to the GP and was sent that day to have tests scans etc. they told her she had breast cancer and cancer In lymph nodes after biopsies. She goes back on Wed to find if it has spread and the next steps. Being a bloke I don’t understand what this really means. She is now getting terrified and I don’t know what to say/help but I worry so much and it has happened so suddenly it is hard for her.mainly but I am at a loss to know what to say or do to help her. My heart is breaking x

• Hi : and welcome to our community.

Shock is a totally normal reaction to any cancer diagnosis so not at all unusual there and being a bloke too I know my natural reaction is to want to do something - anything. Perhaps the single best thing I found though was to learn how to listen.

Trouble is we have emotions too and that can so easily get in the way of good listening. If we look at Talking about cancer there are quite a few tips there that might be useful.

The time between a diagnosis and starting a treatment plan is really quite difficult - we hear so much about how important it is to get treatment early and now often we seem to be waiting for ever - it can be really worthwhile to focus on the next appointment, sometimes just the next day or even the next hour.

Do post whenever, someone is always listening.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge