Dealing with emotions

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi All,  I am new to this and could really do with some advise.  My husband is 60 and has a Gleason 9 Metastatic Prostrate Cancer (4+5), he is having 3 monthly injections and now started on enzalutamide but it is not going well.     He was on Arbitererone but was struggling with chest pain and breathlessness so he was quickly taken off this when his PSA level rose.   He is incredibly tearful and emotional not like I have ever seen anyone before.   Quite understandable as his prognosis is 2-3 years but he is so needy I am struggling to cope with him.    Does anyone have experience of caring for someone on this medication and does it get better the longer they are on it??   Everyday is a real challenge.

• Not the same medication but we spoke with my mum's nurse and she's been offered additional meds for basically emotional control - I guess like anti depressants. It feels awful throwing another medication into the cocktail but we want her days to be as comfortable pleasant as possible. 

Try to get a bit of time for yourself if you can. You'll go back refreshed and better prepared to give them what they need. 

• Thanks for replying, he has been given anti depressants but doesn't want to take them.  He calls me constantly but I am at work and although they are supportive it is becoming a problem.    Unfortunately I never get a minute to myself which isn't helping Disappointed