Guilt

• 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi,

I am going through a range of emotions and struggling to contain them as a carer. 100% I want to care for my dad who I love very much but there is no life as a carer. Physically, emotionally, financially I am being run into the ground. And the realisation that I am not the only one in this situation, this is replicated across the UK. If I try and take time for me, I worry constantly and feel guilty. My dad is also processing his situation and his emotions are likewise all over the place. I can't switch off, I can't relax.  Just sending this out into the ether. ...

• Yep, you're not alone. My mum's illness has consumed me since February. I have to balance work, 2 kids and my wife (who has been great) but everything (trips, holidays, going out) has been put on hold. I don't regret that, or resent it - it's just a chapter in my life, but it's my mum's final chapter, so I am giving her all of me.

I write this as her son. My dad is the primary carer and has it so much worse than me, as I can go home and rest/work/have family time.

Don't be harsh on yourself. Reach out to family and friends, or ask about support groups in your area if you want to. I highly recommend communicating your feelings - even on here - as it will ease the mental burden of it all.

• I echo this. I simultaneously dread the carer role even on my way there and also sort of want to be with my mum 24/7. Trying to switch the mindset between caring, worrying, focusing on something that's not them and then realising that you went 30 mins without thinking about them is draining too. 

I do find the odd activity away from caring helps but then sometimes it's impossible and sometimes the guilt is overwhelming.