Aware but can't verbalise. How do we communicate?

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hello everyone, 

I'm new here but reading the threads have helped contextualise so much.

For some background, my mum had a seizure in November and from that it turned out she has a brain tumour as well as 3 others. Treatment was investigated and after a long difficult road they found the tumours to be unrelated meaning treatment would not cure, possibly only extend her life, which had already become almost immobile and huge difficulties in speaking. 

So now she is at home, with carers visiting, a hospital bed, rotunda etc and she basically transfers from her bed to the sofa, copes mostly with saying 'yes' and occasionally wears herself trying to make a short sentence. 

I feel that she is declining rapidly but I desperately want to support some level of communication. She is fully aware and even spontaneously manages a cracking quiz answer when watching Tv but people don't really try to talk to her any more and she's frustrated when trying to tell us something. 

She lives with her husband, I visit as often as I can, as do her other kids, but I feel like I'm letting her down and I want to try anything and everything to bring some 'life' back to her days. 

Thanks for any comments

• Hi, Is your mum able to write? My initial ideas would be to use a notepad and pen, or a hand-held whiteboard and marker pen if she is able to write.

• No, she can't even point to a letter that a word starts with. We tried it and if we say the correct letter or word she can say yes but she can't get her actions to match her thoughts. Or it takes a lot of time and mental stress to do the smallest thing, it's just awful to watch.