Supporting the carers

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

My girlfriend's sister has an inoperable brain tumour. We live in the family home to help her but I don't really know how to support my gf as I know she's finding it really hard watching her sister on chemo etc. What can I do to make sure my gf is feeling supported? It's a strange situation as I'm trying to look after the carer who is looking after someone with cancer x

• HI

a warm welcome to the group. Sorry to hear about all that's going on. Life's too cruel.

I hear what you're saying about wanting to care for the carer and to be honest there's probably no one size fits all answer here. Be led my what she needs. Listen to her. Let her talk. Let her know you're there for her.

I've been supporting my husband through his stage 4 brain tumour journey and my close circle of friends have been great. Sometimes all I've needed is a bit of normality. There is one close friend that I told right at the start of our journey that their role was to treat me like normal, to bring a bit of normality to the chaos. Other friends are great at taking me for coffee or meeting for dinner. Little things that give me a break away from it all but above all, they all listen. 

Hugs help too. Sometimes there aren't words but a hug speaks volumes.

trust that you'll find the right words/actions at the right time. Just be there for her and be consistently there.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm