How to help my father with Oropharyngeal cancer

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hello

I am looking for advice how to help my father through his cancer treatment and having consulted Dr Google many times (which hasn’t helped my anxiety!), I thought I’d come to a friendly place!

My dad has been recently diagnosed with stage 4b Oropharyngeal cancer. He will undertake 6-7 weeks of radiotherapy and chemotherapy (once a week). I know everyone is different but I would like to give him the best care so what can I prepare for him prior to treatment? And during?

I’d love for you to share anything that really helped you and your loved ones.

Many thanks in advance, all the best

Jane

• Hi  

Yes, Dr Google has some fairly terrible bedside manners. There is some really good stuff out there but like apparently most news stories people tend to share more horror stories than good news.

My wife has Leiomyosarcoma, incurable but stable for now at least so we have been in the zone about 7 years now - sort of time to either find peace with out condition or go mad (possibly both?).

What really helped me was finding people to talk with. I did a living with less stress course. The bit about living in the here and now, mindfulness, was very helpful; I could easily imagine things happening and they never actually did. Then the breathing exercises were good when live throws us a curve ball - cannot predict the future as much as we might like. Transcendental meditation though was not for me.

If can help to look at Your feelings when someone has cancer because if we recognize our emotions then we have some power of control. I know I sometimes found comfort in being at work as that was "normal" but as I am known as someone affected by cancer I found so many people who now feel comfortable sharing with me. I can be good to feel less alone but also need to know when to say no.

No experience for us in radio therapy but might find some tips in Radiotherapy & Side Effects forum but Janice has had two lots of chemo. First was stopped at the halfway point due to some complications but then they were fixed and the second chemo was the one that put her cancer to sleep.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Steve for your thoughtful reply,

I’m sorry to hear what you are going through. It’s horrible to see a loved one going through so much isn’t it?

I will take time to look at the link and other forum.

All the best to you and yours,

Jane