An update and guilt.

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Brief recap: My partner of 32 years was diagnosed with terminal cancer, she was hospitalised due to severe weight loss and weakness, stayed in hospital for 2 weeks then came home for end of life care. I struggled for 8 days she was home, she required constant lifting on and off the commode, was uncomfortable all the time in bed, unable to move about due to her advanced condition and water retention in feet, literally requiring my care every minute of ever day. I gave it everything I have, I am 63 so not as young and fit as I once was, I also have PTSD and mental health issues, I was missing medication due to caring and eventually got to breaking point. Its only now I can see it was a complete breakdown which would have been a whole lot worse without the amazing support of Pete on this forum.  I begged palliative care for help and they were amazing. They found us a hospice place the next day which has enabled me and my partner to have the quality time we desperately needed. She has been in hospice care for a week now and the sheer relief of knowing she is getting the care she needs and deserves is immense. They are talking about moving her into private care home facilities sometime soon, which I think will be a very positive move and a less "hospital environment" for her to be in. I am overwhelmed with guilt that her coming home is not an option, I simply cannot give her the level of care here and her care in this final phase is all that matters to me. 

• Please don’t feel guilt , you are providing your partner the highest standard of care . Care comes in many forms , and from your post it’s obvious you have fulfilled all to best you can. Your partner will be wanting what’s is best for you also , and what is best for you both as a couple!

I provide palpitate care in a professional capacity & also have done in my private life.

One thing I have observed and believe totally ..is that when people wish to be at home , we think of ‘ home’ in the physical sense .. when in fact within our hearts ‘ home’ is actually where ‘Love Is’ !! The love you share is your home Heart

• I simply cannot tell you how much I needed to hear that. Thank you so, so much Still Game x