Advice needed

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

My husband has been diagnosed with lung cancer and will be starting radiotherapy in a few weeks time. But that’s it, no advice as to what it will involve, how he will feel, how we can support and help him. Please any advice would be welcomed 

• Hi Treaza

a warm welcome to the group. Sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis.

I'm supporting my husband through his stage 4 brain tumour journey but his treatment included radiotherapy. In our case, after his initial diagnosis and surgery, we had an appointment to meet the radiotherapy (and chemo) nurse and they explained then what would happen during the treatment. Hopefully you'll get a similar appointment when the time comes.

I did look up some general info from the main body of the website for you

Radiotherapy | Types of treatment | Macmillan Cancer Support

Treatment | Macmillan Cancer Support

Supporting someone | Macmillan Cancer Support

My husband coped really well with his 6 weeks of treatment. I appreciate that its an entirely different type of cancer but the radiotherapy didn't cause any nasty symptoms or side effects, other than fatigue. (and in my husband's case a bit of hair loss around the area they were targeting at the side of his head) He did have dry skin around the treatment site but the hospital gave him some cream to help with that. We treated it a bit like sunburn.

There's another group within the online community that might offer some more relevant insights Lung cancer forum - Macmillan Online Community.

This online community is a safe and supportive space so please reach out here anytime. There's always someone around to listen who gets it, someone to hold your hand and to offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Please make sure that you take time to look after yourself here too. Supporting someone on their cancer journey is a bit of an emotional rollercoaster ride and you need to take time to recharge your own wee batteries here too. Taking "me time" isn't selfish. It's essential to ensure that you are best places to support your husband.

For now though I'm sending you a huge hug and lots of positive energy. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm