Appreciate the time you have

• 3 replies
  • 47 subscribers
Hi.  I posted around a month ago asking for practical advice re caring for my partner with stage 4 breast cancer. Firstly I'd like to thank for the advice I got. Based on this I started getting family members up on a more regular basis to help out, as well as accepting all other offers of help from people. I also discussed with my employer and agreed a part-time working arrangement of 30 hours a week, with flexibility on the specific hours.
Unfortunately a bit over a week ago (and only 3 days after officially starting flexible working) things took a turn for the worse. My wife ended up going back into hospital over the weekend, with breathing difficulties - her 4th visit this year. They gave various treatments to stabalise her, then sent her for a CT scan before admitting her. Unfortunately on Monday morning her oncologist reviewed the CT scan and said there were no more treatment options available. She had fought so hard throughout - taking all the different treatments (surgeries, radiotherapy, multiple different chemotherapy treatments). Therefore getting this message that there were no more options really hit her hard and she went rapidly downhill from that point. By Monday evening they gave her drugs to make her more comfortable and said that it was time for any family to come in who wanted to say their goodbyes. By Tuesday morning (1 week ago) she had gone.
I was well aware of the ultimate outcome of the disease (even if my wife did not want to talk about it), however I still expected us to have a few months (or at least a few weeks). In the end it was all so sudden it was a shock and we are still coming to terms with this. Even 12 hours before her death she was still able to walk a short distance and change her pyjamas (with assistance) which makes it seem so unreal. 
I certainly appreciate how hard caring for someone is, both physically, mentally, as well as not being able to plan for the future. However please try to appreciate and make the most of the time you have (even when things are tough) as you never know how long or short this may be... 
  • So sorry for your loss, Amigo but thank you for sharing your story. Life's too cruel.

Please remember that this community is still here to support you and that you can also call the helpline. We're here  for you.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hey Amigo,

I'm so sorry to hear that. It must be really tough for you right now and your family.

As per my previous post... You clearly did everything you could for your wife. It never feels enough, but you did all you could.  I hope that brings you some small comfort in the coming weeks and months.

As Wee Me says... Still here if there's anything we can do. Feel free to connect.

Big hug...

Pete

• I’m so so sorry for you loss,

life can be so very cruel 

big hug x

Mamma