My Last Birthday With My Mum Today

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi Everybody,

Today was always going to be difficult. It is my birthday and what I know will be my last with my mum. It's also my wife's birthday too. It's usually such a happy occasion, for us and for our kids.

We only had mum's diagnosis on Monday and then in more detail Wednesday of this week, but I feel I'm letting my wife down by not celebrating her day. I could only muster a card today. She says she understands and doesn't mind, but I feel so bad for her having to miss out.

Last year Russia invaded Ukraine, we both had Covid so had to isolate and not see family, we missed a family funeral as a result. In the evening my dad was hospitalised with an infection and admitted to a hospital we couldn't visit. I thought it couldn't get worse than that.

I'm going to see my mum later. It will be the highlight of my day, but also it's going to be so difficult for us both I think.

I love her so much. All I want is the one thing I cannot have - more time.

• Hi  

I am sorry you are going though this, I certainly recognize the view of it could not get worse and then the world seems to conspire to prove us wrong.

Very much hear your words on more time. When I went to a friends funeral a little while back the celebrant said "grief is the price we pay for love" and that really resonated with me.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Steve,

Yesterday was a really difficult day. I felt I was letting my wife down (she's been amazing and I owe her so much) but in the end we had a takeaway as a family with my mum and dad and we didn't talk about the big C or medication. Her grandchildren were there and she loved seeing them.