Can’t get my head round this

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

My mum had breast cancer 7 years ago…..2 years ago she developed secondary breast cancer in her spine we were told it was manageable but incurable so my beautiful mum has been through so many different combinations of chemo and last year the tumours had made their way into the liver - in November the oncologist tried a new drug called Pikray side effects were diabetes and my mum struggled with side effects of insulin and blood sugar levels. The pikray didn’t work and after her last pet scan on Friday we got the devastating news that it had gone too far in liver and she has been given 3-6 months. Since coming off the pikray she’s felt so much better and looks fabulous it just makes no sense. She is the centre of my universe and my best friend…I have an 18 year old son who adores her and we do so much stuff with her and my step dad

our world has broken along with our hearts - she wants to make memories and has put the numbers out of her head and I can’t believe how brave she is - I’m a single mum but have amazing friends but I can’t hear the phrases ‘enjoy every moment with her’ ‘be strong’ because I feel the least strong I have ever felt…….my son well we all are still in shock and he keeps eating then throwing up…..I’m a teacher and thank god it’s half term but I can’t imagine going back to school right now…..I literally see my mum most weekends and after school as she and my step dad look after my dog for me……I keep taking deep breaths and saying she’s still here but I feel like I’m grieving already 

sorry for unloading here but I’ve got my son some help with a counsellor he has seen before but I just don’t know how I’m going to get through this…..I keep hearing about people that have outlived the doctors numbers which obviously I want to hold on to

my mum said sorry to me on Friday that I’ve got to go through this how can she say sorry to me - she is so bloody brave and I keep thinking if she can get up and get dressed every day we’ve got to do the same but at this time for the last few nights I literally think I’m going to throw up or my head will explode - I joined this group in the hope (not hope I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy) that someone else is going through or has gone through this and has any coping strategies x

• Hi  

Thanks for posting, you are going through so much totally not surprised about how you are feeling - as for unloading here - we all need to do that from time to time.

A prognosis is at best an educated guess and of course as you note there is always a question of quality of life too - glad I have never had to be in the position of making decisions.

For the impact on us of course - if we look at Your feelings when someone has cancer we can see how boringly "normal" we are - in that weird world of normal we now live in anyway.

My go to after I broke was a living with less stress course, learnt to live in the moment because I was able to imagine every disaster going and that really did not help me. The conscious breathing exercises were great both for dealing with the unexpected but also for getting some sleep as they help me relax.

Post on here whenever but remember if it might help you ring the helpline as it it there for everyone.

For work you might like to talk to one of our work support advisors too - that can be very helpful.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for responding - I have searched a lot on this site including patients who get the time frame given to them so I can try and understand how my mum must be feeling. She is going back to oncologist with my sister and step dad tomorrow to ask about referral to Cromwell Hospital not for false hope but more to make sure we haven’t just accepted one persons opinion 

we are all just exhausted and I’m usually the rock for my family I always have been but I just can’t do it this time my mum is my best friend so thank you for the suggestion of calling the helpline which I’ll do tomorrow 

thanks again for replying 

• Hi Cella88

Firstly I’m sorry you’re going through this.  Having read your story it totally resonates with me.   My mum was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer at end of nov totally out of the blue.   She’s 72 healthy but had been having back pain which she’s had on & off anyway however it was getting worse anyway a ct scan later we were given this bombshell!    Not curable but treatable.   The diagnosis has been devastating to us as a family you’re going along with life doing normal things then this no warning and our lives are all different now.

As you said my mum is also my best friend too and I can’t even begin to imagine my life without her.   We do everything together and she is the best granny to my kids who absolutely adore her.  I’ve cried every day since we found this out it’s so hard and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.    I’m thankful she can get some treatment.  We haven’t asked for a prognosis as I don’t think it would be beneficial to have this time frame put on her and thankfully she felt the same.     She just wants to get on with her treatment.  

This community has been a godsend and I’m thankful for it.   I’m also learning that so many are living beyond their prognosis too. The Macmillan helpline is great and the nurses are wonderful to speak to.   I’m finding the best way to cope is to take a day at a time and deal with things as and when they happen.   Your mum sounds a very brave woman.  My mum is the same just wanting to get on with things.  What we can do is be there and help them in any way we can support them however hard it is.    I’m always on here if you need a chat.