Macmillan what do they do ?

• 4 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi everyone I hope your all doing OK?  Please note this is not a dig at Macmillan. 

I just have a little question and can't seem to come to an answer. 

What do Macmillan do ? 

Both of my parents were diagnosed with cancer in 2017 and my hubby's mum died of cancer in 2016 and we never came across anyone from Macmillan. 

It was just kinda you've got cancer and that was it, don't get me wrong both of my parents has had excellent treatments within the NHS. But as a family we were never really given an option of any support apart from if you have any side effects ect just give the oncology department a call. 

There were times I felt alone and got support of this forum with other people's stories ect. I'm sure I must be missing something. 

If someone can enlighten me I would be grateful 

All I ever see on TV is Macmillan asking for donations 

• Hi Honey1972,

We can send you some information about our support services and I’m sure others will share their experiences of accessing Macmillan Support with you.

If you’d like to get in touch to discuss your concerns further with our feedback team, you are very welcome to do so by filling in our feedback form.

Best wishes, 

Megan
    Macmillan's Online Community team

• My daughter was diagnosed a couple of days ago and there was a Macmillan nurse with the consultant and she chatted to my daughter afterwards and gave her a lot of information. Then she phoned today to see how the family were coping and to answer their questions and talk through the treatment plan. My friend had the same experience a couple of years ago when she was diagnosed with cancer. 

In both cases the Macmillan nurses are part of the hospital team and are hugely supportive so I'm sorry it wasn't available to your parents and mother in law. Hope. Maybe it's a service which wasn't universally available in 2016 and 2017 but I hope it is now because it really is helping the whole family   

• Yes this forum is the only time I've heard of Macmillan as well over the last 4 months I've just asked hubbie and he says he hasn't seen anyone either. 

• Thanks Rara , glad it's not just me. My mum had another scan a few weeks ago and found another spot on her lung and we have been told the consultant will ring in a few weeks about the next steps. So here we are alone again just scared and anxiously waiting. Xx take care