Feeling numb

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hello, not really sure where to start. My mam has had cancer 4 times and the diagnosis this time (4th) is not good. They cannot operate so it is all about palliative care. I feel like my head is full of a million questions and a lot of confusion. 

• Hey Santafe78...

I'm not surprised you are struggling.  That is an awful lot to wrap your head around.  Being told that someone close to you has incurable cancer is a hell of a shock.  Coming here and admitting that you are struggling is a good first step.

Right now you feel like you have an impossible journey ahead of you and you have no idea how ou are going to do it.  There are lots of people here who are either in the same situation or have been in the same situation.  And the truth is that there are lots of resources out there that you will find out about as you need them.  It is a tough journey - but you'll have lots of support along the way to help you get through it.

The hospital or Macmillan nurses should be able to refer you out to services in your area - or there are lots of resources on this website.  They should also be able to help you with whatever questions you have.

Hopefully you will quickly get referred out to your local hospice and will be able to have some conversations with the nursing team there.  Hospice sounds scary if you have no experience of it, but they are there to help your mam to have the best quality of life she can for as long as she can and to support you and your other family as you walk through this with her.  Our hospice was excellent and gave me a huge amount of support in caring for my wife - even though she never went to the hospice - it was them who helped me to care for her at home right to the end.  (She died at home a month ago today.)

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this horrible reality.  I'm sure lots of people have told you to make sure you look after yourself.

Pete