Sleeping

• 4 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi 

my husband was diagnosed in September with stage 4 glioblastoma he had tumour removed and had 6 weeks chemo and radiotherapy he was told 12 months life expectancy he developed a rash after treatment finished which he was poorly with for 2 weeks then last week spent a week in hospital because of seizures he’s only been home 4 days and has just slept for them 4 days however we seen his doctor yesterday who said he’s starting chemo tablets on Friday one week on 3 weeks off for the next 6 months I still work and was wondering has anyone else been in this situation, what should I expect, will he just want to sleep all the time now do I need to give up work 

thank you for taking the time to read I do hope someone somewhere has some answers x

• Hi  

Sorry to hear about your husband being in hospital can be really quite exhausting at the best of times and given his treatment sleeping a lot might well be expected.

I know one thing I found when Janice was really ill was that work actually felt like something of a safe haven, things were "normal" and I was in control in a way I was not always at home. One thing that can help is to get a needs assessment for your husband and a carers assessment for you. It might also be worth talking to one of the work advisers on here to see what options might be available to you.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Steve

thank you for replying I do feel normal when in work I’ve worked there for 15 years and until all this had 100% attendance work have been very supportive but I wish I had a crystal ball so I knew if I was going to off a lot 

where or who do I contact about assessments? 
    thanks again

take care from VJB

• Hi,

This guide from the NHS should hopefully set you in the right direction for getting the assessments, if you have issues you could try ringing the helpline here.

I know one thing I struggled with was not knowing what our future might hold and indeed often managed to imagine things much worse than they actually turned out. I did a living with less stress course that really helped me to cope with just living day to day. Work fairly much took care of itself but I have moved in to a very new role and now am in a position to help many others but as part of quite a large team so if I need a break it is not critical. My employer meanwhile is grateful not to lose the skills and experience I bring - so a win all around.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi 

thank you for the information think this will be a great help 

kind regards