Pulmonary effusion

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Well things have been very up and down since my husbands Stage 4 Melanoma diagnosis 2 months ago.  Christmas week is not shaping up very well as he has just gone into hospital with severe pulmonary effusion. One of his lungs is almost completely full of fluid and he can’t breathe.  He’s having a drain tomorrow but I’m worried I’m case he doesn’t last the night.  He’s been complaining of palpitations today and I worry there is fluid around his heart they haven’t found yet.  Worst thing is I tested Covid positive this morning so can’t even go and see him.  I’m now feeling more emotional as I’m ill.  Can’t believe all the catalogues of bad luck on these forums.  If anyone has any suggestions on how I can stay positive through this please let me know.  

• My heart goes out to you. My husband has mucosal melanoma and I know of others who have had to have a drain fitted. I hope that gets done quickly, because it seems that it can really turn things around very rapidly. Being ill yourself must make it all so much worse. I had a spell earlier in the year when I was staying in a spare room while I had covid, to avoid my husband catching it. If it were me, I'd be inclined to put on an FFP3 face mask in order to peek in on him - it would make you feel better, and maybe him too if he notices and you get to exchange a few words. You are both here and you are hanging in there. I don't you should demand any more positivity from yourself than that. Hope he gets the treatment ASAP and you get over covid quickly so that you can feel more helpful.

Cancer treatments March 2021 - October 2023

• Thank-you for your lovely reply.  I will read up about mucosal melanoma.  The lung drain isn’t the first my husband has had. He has had two drains for ascites in the stomach.  He has BRAF positive melanoma and is taking some targetted cancer drugs.  I would have thought they should be working better to reduce the accumulation of fluid by now.  He is due a scan this week to see what effect the drugs are having.

From your story I see your husband must be having and have had quite a battle.  You must have had lots of ups and downs.  I hope you and your boys are doing Ok and have a good Christmas.

• I read your post and know your pain my husband spent Christmas in hospital after being discharged a week before after treatment that left his lung with fluid on it , I feel guilty as i made the 999 call early hours of the morning as his breathing was so bad he hated me for that call but it was made out of love . I hope you are over covid and your husband is on the mend , others that don’t understand kept telling him Christmas is just another day but living on our rollercoaster it’s not and they don’t understand that . Mine came home late Boxing Day night Christmas has been very low key we still have gifts under the tree . Our grandchildren who were not allowed to visit went to the hospital and sang to him through the window it made him cry but he loved it and so did the other patients I his bay . I hope you found a way of enjoying time when you are together I really do feel your pain