Writing it down - does it help you too?

• 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Three months ago my wife was diagnosed with Stage 3c lung cancer. We don't know how this will go, but the Consultant said 'put your affairs in order' at the first meeting, so we are not putting heads in the sand. We've had such a lovely 23 years that this seems monstrously unfair. But cancer doesn't care about fair. Doesn't care about anything really. 

One of the first things that people told me, as the carer, was 'look after yourself'. I've been trying to remember that, on the basis that a washed out or blown up husband will not be much use to my love. And most mornings, from the first day, I have written things down, and find it useful. It reminds me of my feeling and also sort of puts them in perspective by putting them there on the computer screen in front of me. Some people call it 'journal' or 'journalling' but it's the same idea.

Has anyone else found it helpful to write things down? 

• Hi Padjo59

we are just at the beginning of this cancer journey ( My husband has stage 4 prostate cancer and given approx four years life expectation). He has had two hormone injections which give him hot flushes but had his first chemo about two weeks ago. This has been the hardest on us both as like you say, as the carer your own mind has to be in a good place and that can be hard when you are watching someone in pain and discomfort. I’m still working, whilst my husband was already retired so he did most of the cooking Monday to Friday. So, even things like going to work, coming home to start cooking, cleaning ,help with self care routines and sleep disruptions because of side effects from the chemo  certainly has an effect and I’m feeling so much more tired. Thankfully I have two daughters on hand that live locally and whilst they are working from home they will pop in to see their dad during lunch breaks. My coping strategies atm is to get to the gym at 6am in the morning for an hour ( nothing strenuous just a hill walk on the treadmill and a few stretches )playing my favourite music. This seems to pick me up and ready to start a new day. The journaling sounds like a good strategy though and think I might start doing this myself. Take care x

• I find it really helpful especially for venting frustrations. You should have seen the email I drafted to send to the Health Secretary about the state of the NHS and emergency care I didn’t send it, but writing it calmed me down.  I also journal intermittently about what’s happening and how I’m feeling, and it does help. One of the things that helped me was to enquire - why did I do that / feel like this rather than criticise - I’m an idiot/ horrible for doing/feeling this. 

Everyone needs to learn what helps them to cope best.