Struggling and down

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer on the 1st September 21.  At the time he was given months.  He couldn't have chemo or radio therapy as it was in both lungs.  Since then he has been having targeted therapy (Alectinib) which has shrunk the tumours and he is now classed as stable.  He is driving me mad as the TV goes on when he gets up in the morning and he watches it all day.  He is not motivated to do anything and is really angry at the situation he finds himself in.  I know that you take things out on those closest to you but I would just like him to show some consideration for me.   Initially I was sympathetic  but that has wained over the months.  He smoked heavily and I had already lost my father and grandfather to lung cancer.  Every few weeks the pressure builds up and his anger comes out at me.  Since retirement he played golf regularly each  week but Its a struggle to get him out of the door once a week, but when he does, he is a different person when he comes home.  He refuses to talk to anyone saying he doesn't need it.  

I do try to meet up with friends once or twice a week and  he has started making comments when I am going out, but if I didn't get out I don't know how I would cope.  We live in a very rural area with no transport so we have to plan things carefully as we went down to one car last year.   Today it has really got to me and I don't know how I am going to cope with months/years? living like this.  I don't like the person I'm living with anymore.

• I can relate to this so much... keep making time for yourself and keep planning in things, so Important to have that time out. 

It's hard if your husband won't talk to anyone but maybe start with trying to talk to each other?? See how he feels, you feel and how you can both move forward?? Its all easier said then done though... hang on in there and sending hugs! 

I completely understand not liking part... currently there! 

• It was such a relief to actually articulate how I was feeling, and thank you for your response.  I have learned to put a little distance between us until things calm down and then try talking about what led to the outburst and the impact it has on me.  Things then settle down a bit but I can pick up when we are heading back in the same direction.  I get tired of people making excuses for him.  I have asked him if it would help to talk to someone but he is adamant that he doesn't need to.  I guess if he does, its having to acknowledge the situation he finds himself in which he is not ready to do.