Feel so hopeless

• 11 replies
  • 48 subscribers

After finding out that my husbands lung cancer has spread to his bones we are back to the waiting game.  He had hip biopsy a week ago and we are waiting to hear if anything else can be done to prolong life. I can’t think straight and it’s really hard to stay positive.   His mental health has taken a bashing and every day that goes by he gets worse.   I can’t do anything to help him and it’s crushing me.    I thought maybe putting it into words might help but god, I am so scared that I am going to lose him sooner rather than later.    I feel so down.   Finding it so hard to pick myself up but know I have to stay strong for him

• Hi, I don't really know if I can say anything to help however, I just wanted to acknowledge your feelings and say that it is OK to feel like you do.  My husband was recently diagnosed with neuro endocrine cancer that has spread to his bones - this is very new to us as his diagnosis was in August.  I too feel how you have explained you feel.  I feel like our future has been stolen from us and even though I put on a brave face for family and friends, I feel broken on the inside.

I suppose I just wanted to say that your feelings are valid.

• HiLoz66 I'm so sorry to hear about your husband and hope the outcome is a positive one I know how it affects you mentally and how paranoid you can get with every ache and pain so I hope I Don't enflict it on family,But know this you are not alone ,if ever you need a shoulder just leave me a message 

• Thank you so much for your reply.  I know I am not alone and reaching out here does help.   I also feel like our future has been taken away   It is so hard

• Thank you so much.  It does help knowing I can vent on here. Family and friends mean well but don’t really understand 

• HI Loz66

just want to reach out a give you a huge hug. Life's too cruel for words.

I'm in a similar situation. My husband is terminal (stage 4 brain tumour) and we found out two weeks ago that there is now a second tumour. Its hard to take in...

Putting it into words or journaling has been one of my key coping mechanisms. Seeing the words written down can help them to seem less scary sometimes. It can also help to get things straight in your mind. 

This group is a safe and supportive space. You're not facing this alone so please reach out anytime. There's always someone here to listen, hold your hand and offer that virtual hug when its needed.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now I'm sending you a huge virtual hug, love and light. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you so much

• I'm sending you the biggest virtual hug I can with love as I'm sure so do many others stay strong ,I know how tough you have to get mentally, and live for the days as they come ,xxxx

• Virtual hugs too, same my partner has got stage 4 prostate cancer spread to bones , unfortunately chemo has done nothing , also feel like out lives have been stolen, drive me mad when people say make the most , I would but he's always to poorly go anywhere,  one minute you living life the next it's taken in a instant , I kept think to myself but now I don't I talk to family and now have counselling,  if you need to take message me x

• Virtual hugs from me too. It's difficult to explain the bewilderment, fear and overwhelming sadness. My partner has recently been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer also spread to bones. I am trying to be positive in front of him but inside I feel absolutely broken too. You are not alone, but I know it feels a lonely place. People don't know what to say and tell me to be positive and that prostate cancer can be treated, but the consultant has said it's incurable. I am thinking about asking for counselling too. Thoughts are with you all on this thread. xx

• It's hard also dealing with his anger issues , counselling is a good idea I honestly don't think there's enough support with people dealing with advanced cancer counselling should come with it , it like you've got uncurable cancer see you next time,  advanced pc is very treatable with ht etc but unfortunately like my oh he's resistant to every treatment,  there are lucky ones been living many years with it , my oh thinks he's been cheated and never given the chance hence the anger x