How do you cope with mood swings

• 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi everyone 

First Post so bear with me lol. My boyfriend of 23 years was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer 4 months ago but has apparently had it for years without knowing. He has had radio and a couple or rounds of chemo but that has now stopped dye to blood clot in his toe.

Not sure what is going to happen next but really struggling. Working from home which helps as I can get lost for a few hours and walking my dog for an hour each night is also a help but I can't do anything right at home. Partner has always been difficult but now the slightest little thing sets him off. I am doing everything including picking up his filled stoma bags which he puts outside the back door. Getting quite resentful now which is an awful thing to say but get no thanks. I have no family and partners family are 200 miles away, amazing friends but most aren't keen on him because they have seen how moody he can be.

Not looking for answers but God its hard enough being nagged without also flipping from sadness to anger every day.

Hope my post doesn't come across as selfish x

• Hi, I just wanted to say that your post absolutely doesn't come across as selfish. 

Being a carer/partner  can be the hardest thing in the world!

Make sure you keep finding moments in your day just for you. Self care is vital. 

As you have amazing friends, try to make some time to spend with them or even just chaton Zoom (etc.)Whether they like your partner or not isn't the issue, they like YOU and will want to support you  - let them do that. It can be tough to admit you need help but please tell them - it is what friends are for, and you'd do the same for them.

The mood swings (yours) are absolutely normal.  Have a hug or two from one partner who 'gets' it, to another. HuggingHuggingHugging

• I'm so sorry you're going through this. My boyfriend was diagnosed with brain cancer in January and is just about to finish chemo which affected his mood and personality massively. 

When his moods first started to change we would have horrible rows. We have learned how to manage them now and he seems to be coping much better.

I can only talk from my experience, but here are some tips i would give you.

- He is probably scared and angry, not at you personally but just at the world. Unfortunately when he feels like this you are there so you take the brunt of this anger. Try not to take it personally. 

- I found when my partner is having a bad day, if he is lashing out don't argue with him (even if you disagree). Sympathies with him instead. He might just be looking to vent. 

- Asking the question 'are you looking for advice or are you just looking for support right now' 

- There is a relationship counselling service called 'Relate'. You can have sessions with just yourself or you can invite your partner to them. They can give some useful professional advice.

- You also need to look after yourself, when he is angry and you just want to scream, try journaling. It really helps, whatever is going on in your head write it down and say exactly what you want. Sometimes you can talk yourself out of feeling so sad and angry and its a good way to release negative thoughts. It works with anything as well that happens in your life.

I wish you all the best, its easy to feel it but you're not alone in this and you are not selfish for feeling emotions, you're human x