I’m new

• 13 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi everyone, I’m new here. My husband was diagnosed with testicular cancer November 2021. I struggled at the time to find the strength to support the both of us but somehow I managed. Husband has his op and has recovered well but I feel like I have not dealt with it very well mentally. Why has it affected me so much when it wasn’t me who had the diagnosis?? Is there anyone here who is in a similar situation or can relate at all

• Hi. Of course you are being realistic, it may or may not come back, no one has a crystal ball. It's all so very hard. No one really knows. I personally am trying my own therapy to sort my own head out. Doing things that make me feel normal, for a while and stop this constant worrying, feeling of fear, eg swimming, meditation, baking, I am hoping the fear will subside bit by bit. I know a lot of people are so much worse off than me and my husband. Just trying to enjoy the time we have together and make happy memories. Living for the moment. 

• Living for the moment has got to be the moto! It’s good to hear that you are doing something for you to try and help the constant worrying, is it helping so far? I should try it. 

• Hi yes it has helped greatly. At first when I went swimming I would literally be crying as I was swimming (goggles on thankfully) but after a few sessions started to really enjoy it. Now for the hour or so I am doing that activity I stop worrying/ feel normal.  Also having days out, just acting normal. Not talking about cancer. They do say you have to fake it to make it. I personally feel  that small amount of time when you feel 'normal' starts to increase. Slowly but surely the times you stop feeling the pit of fear in your stomach and constantly worrying about the future becomes slowly less and less. 'Slowly, slowly,  catchy the monkey', as they say. I really hope this helps you.