Scared stiff

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

My (very youthful) 80 year old husband's PSA has been creeping up and is now 12.  He has zero symptoms of prostate cancer  but his consultant has recommended MRI and bone scans.  He has had a very rough few years - major RTA with extensive facial reconstructive surgery, followed by tonsil cancer - now in remission. He has told consultant he will not consider a biopsy or radiotherapy ( he had extensive radiotherapy for tonsil cancer with awful side effects) and his Consultant is in agreement, but says if indicated by scans he could have hormone treatment.  He also said at his age he may never have real problems with his prostate.  Husband has had enlarged prostate for years and been on Tamsulosin.  Rectal exam = no bumps but reasonably firm.   I'm really very anxious about these scan results, but he won't discuss it at all and says he wishes he had never agreed to scans as he has no symptoms. He had the MRI this week but bone scan not for another 3 weeks and we are due to go on holiday before the results, which the hospital say won't be available for several weeks due to backlog.  Really stressed about it all. Thanks for listening

• Hi

Sorry to hear about your husband, I also take tamulosin but my prostrate is currently benign so I get an annual PSA but so far so good.

My wife was a very different form of cancer, Leiomyosarcoma but still I can remember the stress of just feeling the end was coming any day. Janice never wanted a prognosis though of course really they are at best a guess - 6 years down the line where she is stupidly well I realised how clever she was.

I got to do a living with less stress course with Maggies that really helped me. I was in something of a state of anticipatory grief that meant I was not able to enjoy our time together and learn so much useful stuff there.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge