Mum wants to drive

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

My mum is nearly 68, has Stage 4 breast cancer.  She hasn't driven for best part of 9 months and now she wants to start again by collecting my kids from school.   I get that she's fed up and lost a lot of independence.   My concern is that it's not safe, she could hurt herself or someone else.  But she won't listen and if I try to say anything I am the worst in the world.  My Dad is no help as his head is in the sand and he thinks if mum's driving then life is back to normal and Stage 4 Breast Cancer is now disappeared.  

• r Hi AmandedePanda welcome to the forum. That sounds pretty challenging for you but Im afraid if it was me I wouldn't be letting anyone pick up my children if I felt that it wasn't safe and it sounds like that is you concern. Is your mum having any treatment at all or not on any at the moment. Has she notified DVLA of her diagnosis and her insurance company? 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• I have tried saying that insurance won't cover things especially given the medication she is on.  Yes she's having treatment to try and sloe the spread.  She just won't listen