last treatment available

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi all, this has been a long a hard getting harder road. My husband was diagnosed in June 2020 with kidney cancer that was removed. Then come the October symptoms after his operation continued & scans in the December showed it had gone much further lung, liver & lining of brain. 
with immunotherapy then having to change to targeted therapy working to keep the cancer stable until the last scans. Which showed over the last 6 months there had been progression, meaning it was time to finally change to the one drug left to him. Knowing how sensitive he has been it hasn’t been a surprise within a week he had to hold taking them, now back on them again I can only hope that it helps keep him symptoms free with the quality of life I know he craves. 
we have managed to pack so much in over the last two years & I have found it so hard watching him on his more difficult days when he’s not even had the strength to get out of bed. 
I feel for our children who look up to him so much & are also finding it hard as they want to spend so much time with us but know they have to work which also is a way of distraction. 
we have been very lucky to have so much love in our family 

I know others here will have gone or are experiencing similar situations. I just wondered how everyone managed to get through when you’re informed it’s the last type of medication available? 

• Hi

Sorry to hear about your husband and the worry of being on what is the last line of treatment. My wife is not there yet but years back she had an issue of sepsis and that was especially difficult.

I can really relate to the idea of working being a helpful distraction, it can feel like the world is more "normal" when we have things we feel we can control.

I did a living with less stress course that really helped me. Often we here people talking of living day to day or even hour to hour and a key element is noticing things around us - even bad things we can focus on and accept they are bad and then put them back in the box - it can be a helpful tool.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Steve,

Thanks for taking time to reply. I have also completed health & well-being course in the past for my past line of work which helps me be able to process things but it is so very different when it is someone you love. Thankfully I have a very good friends network to help also. 
    It is the last roll of the dice scenario, which I think we as a family had always felt & hoped would’ve been further down the line. 

m Just knowing support is readily available for our children - young adults to help them through as all the talking we do doesn’t necessarily arm them with the coping mechanisms for what’s to come. 

• Hi, no one wants to think they are at the last chance saloon but try and stay positive. Many drugs which are now available can have great results. If he wants a duvet day, join him and make it a nice scenario rather than a bad one. I lost my Mum to cancer 5 yrs ago and my husband has terminal diagnosis of 3 months but I am finding ways of getting through the days, including him when he's not sleeping or in too much pain. We started to put photos in albums and had many laughs and aa few tears looking through them.... you could do that in bed!  Best of luck to you