My brothers terminal prognosis should it change ?

• 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

My 62 ur old brother was given 12-18 months in November last year for oesophageal cancer and some spreading into the nodes snd liver then he went on a trial drug from America which saw the tumours shrink and slowed the spread, but they said it was not the trial drug that did that it was the chemo, however the trial drug has now finished its course but did make him very poorly .The cancer seems to be growing back again slowly but there has been no mention of any extended prognosis?  Can I assume it bought him more time ? Also he is struggling to pay his bills now he’s unable to work, can he get any help ?

• Hi

Sorry to hear about your brother and the effects it has on you all. My wife never wanted a prognosis and I really struggled with that at the time but over the years I came to realise that at best a prognosis is an educated guess based on averages - and who is this average anyway. With a trial drug my guess would be that it would become very difficult for the doctors to even make an educated guess.

On the paying the biills front it may help looking at Make money one less worry as there are people who may be able to help.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Steve good advice and yeah I think your right just wanted someone to tell me he won’t be going anytime soon, but like you say it’s not an easy prognosis to make. Thanks for the financial link too  I’ll try it now

love to you and your family x