I feel so guilty

• 2 replies
  • 46 subscribers

My dad recently passed. He was diagnosed in hospital with lung cancer in March. He didn’t want treatment. A week after his diagnosis I broke my ankle really badly and was mom-weight bearing. So he was discharged to a nursing home near me. He was there for 6 weeks but he was really well, not in any pain and was independent. He hated being in the home but he didn’t want to go back to his house, so he came to live with me and my husband. 

again he was really well and independent so I just let him do his own thing and didn’t interfere with his routines like sorting his tablets.  I carried on working and doing my own thing too.

but a few weeks ago he started to struggle more with various things like swallowing so he went in to a hospice on a Saturday morning to “get on top of his symptoms” but early the Monday morning I got a phone calll and went straight to the hospice. Within 10 minutes he passed away. 

there’s so much I feel guilty about and I make as him so much. I don’t know how to get through it. 

please please can anyone help? 

• Hi

So sorry to read about what you have been through. It sounds like you did pretty much what anyone would have done in a similar circumstance and from the sounds of things what your dad would have wanted.

Grief is a funny thing and there are no "right" answers. There are people who can help though - two very common we hear about are Cruse bereavement care and the loss foundation.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• A huge hug to you. I am no expert but I think Guilt is really normal its part of the 5 stages of grief. I can tell from your post that you cared and supported your father really well. He would know how much he was loved. So I hope you can bear and work your way through this phase of grief and not let the guilt get out of hand and depress you. The counseling services really may help you.