Anxious mother, helpless daughter - HELP!

• 3 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Mum’s breast cancer diagnosis came in about 3 weeks ago, since then we’ve been told it’s spread to her lymph nodes and she’s been in an out of hospital for various scans to make sure it isn’t anywhere else. There is a talk of making sure it hasn’t spread to her bones which I think has really knocked her for six.

Chemo starts on Thursday next week with various appointments every day until then for Picc fitting, Oncology meetings etc etc and my plan is to stay with her all week next week to attend all appointments and generally keep an eye on her.

The thing she is struggling with the most is the mental side, she has literally worried herself sick. She’s felt nauseous for days now which means she’s totally lost her appetite which only makes her feel more sick. It’s tricky as I don’t live with her, so have been trying to suggest calling friends, going for a walk, cooking her favourite meal so that she can eat something she really WANTS to eat but she is very snappy and won’t take any suggestions.

I totally understand it, and don’t take it personally when she snaps but it’s so hard to try to help her from a distance. I know that just having someone else in the house is the best distraction (she lives on her own) but it’s just not possible for me to be there all the time… I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how to keep her grounded and any suggestions for techniques that helped their loved ones to calm down the worrying/anxiety?

We’re only at the beginning of her journey, and it’s so hard watching her shut down emotionally as she is normally such a strong, vivacious person.

Bloody cancer, ey?

• Hey,

I'm kinda in the same boat.  My partner has end stage cancer.  We don't live together and I worry about him daily.  He's a stubborn man and thinks he can carry on as he is!!!!  But he's starting to struggle and it's hitting him mentally too.

I wish I would say something to help you.  If I could I'd do it myself!  For him, he needed to get through that stage and accept it first.  Maybe your mum needs to do that too?  

My mum has health issues (luckily not cancer) and I worry about her too.  But I also know that after living years on your own it's hard to accept help.  I have a 23 yr old daughter who lives 5 hours away from me and I've been living alone for 3 years.  I met my partner 18 months ago and I'm struggling to ask for and accept help myself.  It's years of not having anyone to ask!!!  So just be on the end of the phone for your mum.  Even just emails about daily rubbish help!  

But also, take time to learn to deal with this yourself.  As I keep telling myself.  We need to stay strong to help them.  It may feel odd thinking that way but it's the truth.  Cancer hits everyone.  Not just the person with it.  I've gone from planning our future together to planning funerals and hospice care.  It's cruel.

If you ever need to talk I'm going to try and make a point of coming on here.  I need to for myself.  So give me a shout.

Good luck to you both

Vicki

• You both make such good points. If I had £1 for everyone on here who has said "I need to be strong" I would probably be heading for the millionaires club.

I we look at Looking after yourself as a carer we can really see how common this is. Really well done for spotting this and reaching out for help - that is often the really strong option.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. Mine was diagnosed with suspected endometrial cancer in March. She had a major op which left her with a permanent illestomy due to it spreading. So far she's had 3 rounds of chemo, been in hospital countless times due to surgical complications and had unfortunately lost all her hair due to the aggressive treatment. Initially she lived alone but has been living with my and my fiancé since her op. 

I think my only advice is to try not to suppress her emotions and reactions, even if it's upsetting for you because they need to feel free to express themselves and not to tame their emotions for you. It's a shit situation but ultimately its shittier for them and there will be days when they're pissed of with everything and us helping will piss them off as it's a reminder of things they can't do or eat. I've found an outlet by annoyingly blogging, support groups, and speaking to my fiance and friends. 

My mother is incredibly strong and its incredibly painful to see her going through this knowing I can't make it better and I need to be strong for her but I also need to look after my metal health otherwise I'll burn out. 

I'd also suggest visiting a Maggie centre near you, they're usually located in hospitals with cancer treatments. They're a god send for patients and anyone affected by cancer and they have various activities and help sessions throughout the week. They also have various advisors and counsellors and a wonderfully tranquil setting.

Big hugs xx