Housebound

• 7 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Has anyone become housebound since becoming a career.... how do you occupy yourself

• Hi

I know of a few people who feel unsafe going out because of the risk of covid but cannot say I know anyone who would consider themselves housebound.

I wonder have you had a carers assessment from your local authority, often done alongside a needs assessment for the person you care for. It might help to look through Looking after someone with cancer as there may be some useful tips in there. I know I had to get help for me at least twice in the 6 years living with my wife's cancer.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• I've spent the last 2 years caring for my mother, and although not officially "housebound" it does feel like it. She's so worried about covid I can't go out anywhere...I have a Tesco delivery every week, and never go to the shops. I did go out and get my haircut though last month for the first time in 2 years and felt almost human again!

I've given up all my leisure activities (motorbike racing) and never see friends or family as they live so far away. So pretty cut off really. I look forward to my life restarting, but that will only happen when my mother is gone, so not the ideal solution really!

I started a (very) small business on eBay, so that keeps me occupied to an extent, and mum keeps me pretty busy with her needs plus the cooking / cleaning / housework. It's not the most fun life, but at least we are there for those who need us.

I hope things get easier for you, and you find an enjoyable way to occupy yourself in your spare time.

• Yes

I haven’t left the house for seven months except to go to the pharmacy. When I leave I feel immense relief and yet constantly worry that something dreadful will happen while I’m out. People say look after yourself go and do something for yourself etc etc. they clearly do not know what it is like caring for someone gravely unwell. 
    I bought a baby monitor and created a new hidden area in the garden with pallets and a camping mattress. It’s like a little holiday. It’s crazy but just having this space out of the house has kept me sane.

I plan to put my tent up in this space when the weather changes. 
    A baby monitor has given me the freedom to be outside for longer. in fact the baby monitor has helped immensely to buy me time away from him without worrying that I’m neglecting him. Best purchase ever. 
    I occupy myself with audiobooks and Spotify music. 
    I mainly listen to travel writing, and nature writing which of course I realised after I’d downloaded the books was a way of travelling in my mind. 
    hope these ideas are of help. 

• Thank you. A baby moniter sounds a really good idea

• I bought a wireless doorbell....mum can just press the button if she needs me and I keep the chimer with me and can come running!

• I definitely feel the seen of relief at getting out followed by the immense worry and need to get back to make sure all is OK whenever I head to the shop or pharmacy for supplies.

Before my Mam's stroke when she had her mobility and voice we used walkie talkies when I was out around the garden, but since her stroke this doesn't work as she can no longer speak very well. So I get out for longer periods when the carers or sitter comes,  or if I am in the garden, I look through the window at her.

Me and my brother created a little area in the woods next to the house, working on it for an hour every evening when the carers came and we knew it was ok to take the time out away from the house. It was a bit like how we would spend our childhood, making dens in the woods, and gave a chance to talk through our worries and fears. Great therapy !