Wants to come home from hospital

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

My dad wants to come home. He is having complications and was admitted 3 wks ago. They say he could go into a coma if he goes home but he says he is dying anyway so what’s the point of going out of my mind in here when I can be home and I think he has a point. They are treating him but he just isn’t interested. I’m an NHS worker and I too would do the same as him my only worry is how do we make it happen with care as we all work for the nhs me and my sisters and how will we manage to look after him and work as well. As he will be quite challenging and has complex needs

• Hi

I could talk to you about how the hospital is not supposed to discharge without a care plan in place - but that I suspect would be trying to teach you basic hospital policy and rather pointless.

The link between NHS care and community care is really quite big, your dad would need to have a needs assessment and you would need a carers assessment - both a right from the local council but not always easy to obtain.

Is your dad at all in contact with a hospice? They are really expert in this area and some to hospice-at-home care as well as residential, I am sure they could offer the best advice of all.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge