New here

• 1 reply
  • 45 subscribers

Hello wonderful people

I’m new to this group so just wanted to say hi and thank everyone for sharing.

I don’t know what to say but I thought I’d share something too...my mum was recently diagnosed with cancer and has just started chemo. Between me, my siblings and our dad we’re travelling to visit her and stay a couple days at a time to help care for her and keep her company. Im finding it challenging as I work full time and am spending my weekends with her and then going straight back to work. I have the privelage of working from home but sometimes I find it so hard to be alone with the stress and depression. The uncertainty of it all is painful, trying to care whilst also trying to be a daughter is challenging and I have horrendous guilt when I feel like I don’t want to go - simply because I feel like I can’t do enough and I’m exhausted from my own health problems, as well as work. I’ve barely spoken to friends about it because I feel like it’s a lot.

I’ve been reading through everyone’s posts as a way of understanding my own feelings and it’s been so helpful. I’m really glad this community exists. Thank you everyone and sending lots of love

• HI Squish22 (love the name)

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about your mum. Life's cruel.

Any cancer diagnosis impacts everyone in the family and circle of friends in so many ways so don't feel back about the emotions you are going through. They are all perfectly normal- trust me. And you'll open up and talk to friends when you are ready to do so.

My husband was diagnosed with a stage 4 brain tumour in Sept 2020. Our kids were 20 and 22 at the time. It's been an emotional rollercoaster ride for us all over the past 23 months. Some days are tougher than others but so far we've made it through them all. There are some friends I've not spoken to yet about this and there are others that I message every day. I've come to the conclusion that everything finds its natural balance as you go through this journey.

Please reach out here anytime. It's a really safe and supportive space and has helped me through some dark days. There's always someone around here to listen, offer their words of wisdom, hold your hand and offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now, I'm sending you a huge virtual hug. Stay strong. Breathe, Trust me , you are coping way better than you give yourself credit for.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm