I think it’s finally hit me

• 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I posted on here a while ago when we first had my partner’s diagnosis of stage 3 bowel cancer. Everything has gone okay so far, has had his surgery and had 10 days in hospital. That was around 9 weeks ago. When he came out of hospital, his parents came to stay with us for 2 weeks and they were so helpful. They really took a lot of the load in terms of caring for him (I will mention he is 30 and I am 27, we live alone in London and all our family are in the North). 

I am a teacher and continued to work throughout this time. Work were great and allowed me to go to school in the morning and then go to the hospital in the afternoon. I had exam classes so felt like I couldn’t just abandon my students.

We have had so much positivity, lots of people commenting on how they’re amazed we’ve kept going and how positive we’ve been so far.

Yesterday, my partner started his first round of Oxaliplatin and we have no family here at the moment. Again, I felt fine until I got home and realised how much medication he now has to take. I am feeling really overwhelmed by the situation, more so than the surgery. I think it’s the unknown of it all. I am not sleeping well and I’m worried about giving in and ‘not being positive’ about it all. I also know that after this, he will be fine. The surgery removed the tumour. We don’t have any family/ others to care for so I’m feeling like I should be able to cope with this and work. I don’t want him to see me upset as it’s just the 2 of us!

Sorry for the very long message. I’m just not sure who to turn to!

• Hi

You write with great clarify as we might expect from a teacher - not at all bad when we consider how much else is going on for you.

If we look at Your feelings when someone has cancer we see a lot of the sort of things you talk about above. I get the don't want to see I am upset bit - I used to cry in the shower but sometimes I can known cancer patients claim their partner is unfeeling - there sometimes is no wa to win. 

<<hugs>>

Steve 

Community Champion Badge

• I feel you! I have a two year old and my partner is probably having a transplant in next two months which will mean atleast 100 days of low immunity and kids are little germ bags!?

Sorry that I can't give advice accept only that you yourself will know what you will be able to do and don't feel bad whatever that may be. Yes you will have crap days and good days and all in between- just have someone on speed dial who can listen when it all gets a bit too much! Also I think you can probably speak to your partner about your worries- I do - not to make it feel like a burden but just so he knows he's still part of my life and that we're in this together despite all the struggles... I think it's alot easier when your not trying to hide things- once we spoke about how rubbish it actually was it was a weight off both our chests and we could move on to other topics without it being the elephant in the room. Your partner will know your upset- he's your partner and probably just as anxious that your ok too so don't feel like you have to carry it all.

Wish you all the best