How will I cope without my mum?

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi, my mum was told yesterday she has 6 months left, maybe a few more if she battles through more chemo, I honestly feel like I could sit and cry and never stop! The news alone has made me feel sick, anxious and more scared than I've ever felt! My dad died of kidney cancer when I was 14 months old and I'm an only child, although I'm married with my own children and my mum comes from a large family I'm so frightened of being alone in the world, (that's very much how it feels) it's always just been me and her and the thought of carrying on without her kills me! She's my best friend, the 2 years of treatment has been so hard on her but she's handled everything with such awesome grace and dignity but she's in christies atm and watching her go down everyday atm is hard, she's having problems with kidneys and bowel and keeps vomiting and all she wants is to come home but I worried I don't know how to look after her or anything, my head is all over the place!

• Hi

Sorry to hear about your mum and your dad but a very warm welcome to our community.

If we look at Your feelings when someone has cancer we can see how really very normal your reactions are. Before the hospital would discharge her they would need to do some work to make sure she would be ok in the new situation. She would be eligible for a needs assessment and you could have a carers assessment to help ensure the right level of care.

When my dad was ill we ended up having to move him to a care home because we could not provide the level of care he needed. It felt terrible at first but we visited regularly and he was safe in a way we could not have done at home.

It sounds like your mum is a wonderful lady and I am sure you will follow her lead it nothing else but for your own children - her grandchildren of which I am sure she is really proud.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge