Husband doesnt seem to care

• 2 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi, my husband has finished his treatment for throat cancer and we are waiting for the results of his scans. But he has gone back to smoking and drinking now as if nothing has happened, he says he feels ok so why not. I'm so angry at him, nothing I say makes a difference and I'm at a point now where I'm not sure I care any more which is a terrible thing to say. But I've been caring for him for months and doing everything at home and also a full time job and it feels like it's just been a bit pointless? I feel like if he doesnt care about himself then why should I ?

• That must be tough to take. I wonder if it's a way of hiding his fear though. If he could be persuaded to talk to someone it might help both of you. 

• Sorry to hear this Bee56. I was also angry with my husband when I found out he had started smoking behind my back after he  was diagnosed with tumour on his spine. When he went into hospital to have his appendix out in January and they would not let him home due to his oxygen levels weren't good.  He was hoping to go home & he phoned to tell me, because they asked if he smoked so it all came out. I was calm but inside I felt horrified let down, cheated & lied to. I did talk with him when he got home & asked why, he felt its his life and he might as well do what he liked. 

So I left it for him to decide. I told him how I felt. I did say "what do you think your grandson would say". He loves his grandchildren. Yes he did make the right decision in the end and through away his tobacco that he had hidden. 

I hope your husband will make the right decision in the end. Sending  big hugs. Xx

Jodie97

Sending big hugs to you all