Frustrated Husband and carer!

• 13 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Hi. I'm a 65 year old hubby of a 64 year old Stage 3 ovarian cancer patient. Until Feb our life was normal! Now surgery and chemo has turned our world upside down. I'd love a chat with others in same boat. Thank you

• Maybe we have something in common, I'm 70 and  my wife has terminal cancer, my life is destroyed 

Mike

• Blackpool 57,

My wife, sadly and recently now gone, was in her early 60s too. Likewise life was normal until, after a year of wrongfully diagnosing, things were turned upside down for us too.

It's a difficult time for you both and you try and find as much strength as you can. My wife was my life too and it's very hard to take what has happened.

Take care.

WDJ

• Hi. Very kind of you to reply. I'm so frustrated and guilty! It's good to chat. Peter

• One of the best.things about this forum is that everyone knows exactly, regardless of what kind of cancer, what it means when a post is made. No matter how friends, and even family, offer support and best wishes they cannot fully understand everything.

We are talking about the person we love and spend every day with. The frustration in being unable to 'help' but doing nothing but helping and supporting is simply soul destroying. Some of.my guilt came from saying things like "I would do anything..." knowing that there was a limit to what I could actually do.

In many ways, I think my wife was more stoic about her condition than me. She never complained once in the sixteen months or so even though I know it got her down at times.

WDJ

• Thank you. It's good to just share

• The fact that we are talking about the person we love and spend every day with seems lost on some some people, many relatives seem to compare the loss of my wife to the loss of a parent, it's just not the same at all. My wife and I have been very very close for 20 years, we are each others lives.

I really can't imagine coping without her and neither of us had any local friends or relatives.

• Gmikecarr,

That's a very interesting observation. Having lost both my parents too, over the last two decades, I would say there is no comparison whatsoever.

I was with my wife for almost twenty-nine years and the gaping hole left cannot be explained to some. A friend even said the very next day after she died that it was the first day of my new life. They meant no harm but it was a tad insensitive.

I find it very difficult to reply to "How are you?" as I want to reply "How do you think?"

WDJ

• Hi, my wife has endometrial cancer.  We're 60 and have been together for 35 years.  Her general health and fitness are poor so she's opted for chemo rather than surgery.  I feel sad, frightened and helpless.  Also ashamed that I struggle with those feelings - I try to put on a brave face but am always close to tears.  I'm grateful she is still here and am trying to make the best of this difficult chapter of life.

Mark

• Never feel alone Mark. It's an awful time but you aren't alone mate. 

• Thank you Peter.  We're not alone thanks to this community.