Dad in denial about my mum

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

My mum was diagnosed with Stage 4 Breast Cancer back in December and it's been a rocky road since.  I'm an only child so I have my Dad to worry about as well.  He doesn't talk much about mum's diagnosis and seems to be in denial which worries me because I don't know how to help him deal with this as well as keeping myself going.  He and mum were away for a few days and he said something along lines of ' your mum was out for short walks.  She needs that to build up her strength' as if she's on the road to recovery.  I am maybe reading to much into what he said, I'm very much an overthinker but I genuinely worry how he will cope with what's ahead.  

• Hi

Sorry to hear about your mum and the impact it is having on both your dad and you. It might perhaps help to look at Talking about cancer as that might help you and your dad talk more and make it easier for the both of you to become a team supporting your mum - and of course put you both in a position where perhaps you become closer than you were before.

it might also help you to look at Your feelings when someone has cancer - I know I have been through most of these and sometimes just recognizing where we are can help us feel a bit more in control.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge