Feeling helpless

• 3 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi all. 

Hubby was diagnosed with base of tongue squamous cell carcinoma that has metastasised into his lymph node, is just about to start his final week (week 6) of RT and had his 2nd chemo on wed/Thurs this week just past. 

He is struggling to eat and drink and seems to be giving up on life. 

I have tried making him various different smooth or soft meals, but he says they still hurt to swallow or taste bad and he is surviving on around 3 cups of tea and one ensure drink a day, but even then he mostly brings them back up. 

He is on oramorph and paracetamol suspension but it doesn't touch the pain. He has asked repeatedly for more help with the pain and it took us till last week to get the meds he is on. Up until then he was on effervescent cocodomol which hurt.

When he was admitted for his chemo they had to give him extra fluids be or the chemo, but then he managed to eat veg soup and steak pie, but won't eat at home (even if I blend the soup smooth with plenty of stock) He says he had to eat in hospital as there was no other choice, but he's not eating or drinking at home and he is now shrinking in front of me.

I feel he could do more to help himself, ie use his nebuliser more than once a day, eat or even drink even though it hurts, take his oramorph more regularly, but obviously I don't actually know what he is going through so it is easy for me to think that way.

His dad is the same and will only ever take half the dose prescribed if his GP ever prescribes anything for him.

I don't know what to do without being a nag and bullying him into doing things and all I can do at the moment is cry (it doesn't help that the effectiveness of my HRT is not what it should be after me having covid a couple of weeks back and it knocking my system for six) 

Any advice as to what I can do to help him. I've tried reminding him he's eating/drinking for survival rather than enjoyment, but it has no effect and seems to make him dig his heels in more. 

I feel so selfish letting it all upset me like this, but I just want him to keep fighting and do all he can to help himself make a full recovery. 

• Hi Jintymc. I have the same condition as your husband in relation to the tongue as well as cancer in my gullet. I will be starting radiotherapy and chemotherapy shortly hopefully.  I have been warned about weight loss, lack of appetite, difficult and painful eating and other side effects including mouth ulcers. The medical staff recognise this and very soon I will undergo an operation to insert a feeding tube into my stomach. This will then enable me to introduce a prescription liquid food source directly into my stomach three times a day. It can also be used to administer medication. You don't mention this so maybe its something your husband can discuss with his medical staff. I hope this helps. Take care.  

• Hi Neil. He said from the start he didn't want a tube and was determined to fight through it. He then told them last week that he did want one (after being hospitalised for dehydration) but that's when they gave him the oramorph and told him to persevere. 

• Hi Jinty, thanks for the reply. It appears your husband is in a bit of a quandary. Obviously he's in pain to be administered a morphine based drug but is having problems taking traditional nourishment at the same time. The detrimental effects of that during treatment goes without saying.

Personally I'm concerned about pain management and eating after I start  radio and chemotherapy. It does sound rather grim.

I'm obviously not a doctor and having a feeding tube inserted would not have been my first choice. However if it takes care of getting food inside me and allows me to concentrate on the other problems with my cancer then for me it was the sensible choice.

I suppose it really depends on how your husband is coping on the new drug treatment regime. I think for myself personally I'd want this reviewed by the medical staff within a set timescale. Alternative options can the be discussed.

As I say I'm not a doctor but I'm not sure why both can't be done together. A feeding tube insertion and some pain management.

Perhaps the doctors can explain more.

All the best to you both.

Neil