Blue badge assessment

• 4 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hello everyone,

My mother is due to have her blue badge assessment on Thursday. She's 4 weeks post op for an ultra radical hysterectomy and still has mobility issues, not being able to walk unassisted either by me, a walking stick or walking frame. She's also due to start chemo which will deplete her energy even more and make her weaker so she'll need someone to physically asscort her to her chemo appointments. I'm scared the mobility assessment won't go well and we're not sure what to expect.  Does anyone have any experiences/tips they can share? Unfortunately she isn't entitled to any financial assistance as she's not in receipt of any benefits. 

Thank you. 

• Hello

its so unfair being put through all this extra suffering, my Linda was declared terminally ill, with less than 6 months expected, so had her oncologist complete form DS1500, which gave her automatic PIP payments and a blue badge. It’s a difficult system to navigate, maybe phone macmillan for guidance.08082395065

good luck

Sweat Linda You are my best memory, You are all of my best memories

• My husband's consultant also completed a DS1500 form and it was all handled by a Macmillan Welfare Officer based with our local council. I would definitely seek the help from Macmillan to make sure your mum (and you) get all the financial assistance she/you are entitled to (Attendance Allowance springs to mind). At her assessment make sure you think and talk “worst case” day and evening. From personal experience with my mum many years ago even though you want to be positive and looking ahead it’s best to really emphasise ALL the problems. Hopefully you will be able to get some advice beforehand and even request a home assessment because it’s too difficult for your mum to mobilise at present. 
    Best of luck 

Grasan 

• Thank you for replying.  The oncology department haven't said its terminal but I understand your point about worst case situations, my mother and I ate pretty pragmatic have have thought of every eventuality.  Unfortunately our local authority is preety poorly organised with literally everything and my mother initially had her surgery in another borough but will be reciving chemo at a different hospital within our ccg. When I spoke to the macmillian advisor based at the hospital where she had her surgery they said if the oncology department haven't said ite terminal then she can't use the DS1500 form. Our best bet is to go down the mobility route for the assessment. Failing that she may be able to use patient transport services which would be beneficial to both of us as I wouldn't need to take time off work. I'll defo ask about everyone at the Maggie centre, trying to navigate the logistics let alone the emotional side of everything is becoming overwhelming. 

• Thank you for replying, I'm so sorry about your partners diagnosis, this kind of news is never easy to hear and process xx