Steroids

• 6 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hello everyone 

well from a few weeks of deepest dark and feeling lost and in shock, my husband has now been put on the end of life pathway and given steroids and has the energy to think and now is making plans. BoRolling eyesing is about with directions ( I don’t mind as he hasn’t even spoken for weeks, so we are all humouring him Rolling eyes) tomorrow the nurses from the hospice come to talk through what will happen next. 

I can’t believe that six weeks ago we were planning a summer holiday and at a pub having fish and chips in the garden. How the hell ????

so here I am trying to know what to expect. I know that there is no way of knowing really but if anyone on here can answer just one question this morning I would really appreciate it 

my OH wants to be at home. No hospice. I’m terrified. I’m prepared to do whatever he wants and I will cope with that knowing he gets what he wants, but I’m terrified that he will feel pain, or we will be let down or something shocking will happen. I’m pretty solid with most things life throws at me but I don’t want my children to be traumatised. 
so my question is ? 
Should I try to talk him into a hospice to protect our children, or is it the peaceful end people describe? 
Any and many thoughts welcome 

• Hi, I’m in a very similar situation with my partner who was diagnosed only a couple of weeks ago with inoperable bowel cancer that has spread to his liver. A few weeks ago we were going out for cocktails and to the coast, now he can hardly walk without becoming breathless.

I have been caring for my partner at home and would prefer that he stays here, I don’t want to be at the whim of hospitals who can say no visiting if there is a covid case. I too am worried about how this will affect the children.

• Dear VLM

thanks for responding. I’m so sorry to hear that your husband is so ill. It’s shocking isn’t it how fast it can ge. I read about people with these incredible survival stories and I cant bear it. I want my husband to be one of them. 
    you make a good point about covid. I’m certain that if there was a covid issue, I could still see him in a hospice. Buy the yes I need to check that out. 
    mum very concerned for my children, that they witness their father in pain or distress. 
    mat the moment he’s just unbelievable and uncharacteristically angry. 
    let me know how things go for you. 
    take care 

all my best wishes 

M

• Hi M,

We’ve had a few days of extreme anger too, I suppose that’s natural, it does seem very unfair.

I know what you mean about the survival stories, I find it difficult to relate to them, and feel as if I’m in a very isolated and lonely place even though I’ve had lots of messages of support.

How are your children coping, I’m finding that the most difficult, and how do you stop yourself from just crying constantly?

Sending hugs.

• Dear VLM

my children are worried about me. But they are being quite tough and telling him ‘ his behaviour is very naughty ‘ occasionally he calms down and feels bad, but then forgets. 
    glad I’m not alone in my feelings. 
    I cry at the oddest times. 

• My husband has been diagnosed with a brain tumor in December he's had radiotherapy and chemotherapy which didn't stop it's growth undergoing more chemotherapy but feeling very worried, emotional and angry.

• Dear Rock Chick,

im so sorry I didn’t see your comment. Yes I can understand those feelings and I’m going between resentment and sadness at all the things we planned when covid stopped. 
    it’s bloody horrid. Hope you have people around you.