Feeling overwhelmed, there is only me

• 11 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hello all, I'm new here, I joined after speaking with Macmillan on the phone, my father has bladder cancer and is into his third year, there is only myself and my dad , I look after him and also have care workers coming in during the day when I'm at work full-time, I also have 15 year old daughter ! I am feeling very overwhelmed with life and doing things all on my own my dad's elderly brothers live in Scotland and aren't able to help , but do call him . Feeling scared and extremely tired and all on my own , my work has suffered , but are being amazing however it still causing me to be anxious I will lose my job . My daughter is going through her own issues and taking her GCSEs currently, and us distant understandable, I feel I've not been there enough for her. Just wanted to join a group with others that may be going through the same  Vee

• Hi Vee I know how you feel. At present I'm starting to feel overwhelmed with everything I'm  trying to cope with. My father is undergoing tests for prostate cancer which has spread to his back, hips and lung. I'm also a full time carer for my husband who has middle stage mixed dementia (Alzheimer's and vascular). I'm trying to emotionally support my mum, through this as I can't physically help. My daughter has M.E along with epilepsy and my son has IBD and they don't know about my dad get until we get a definitive diagnosis. I'm lucky in as much as I've got my own care support worker and we'veKissing closed eyes got a dementia link worker, so I can turn to them when things get too much.! On top of all this we're hoping to move in the next couple of months to a purpose built wheelchair adapted bungalow! The onKissing closed eyesly advice I can give from a carers perspective is to try to take each day as it comes. Be kind to yourself and try to make some 'me' time, that isn't always easy but if it's only for a couple of hours a week it helps to recharge your batteries. My thoughts are with you Kissing closed eyesKissing closed eyes