Feeling helpless and scared

• 4 replies
  • 45 subscribers

My husband is 53 and was diagnosed with Gleason 7 prostrate cancer around 8 weeks ago. He had no symptoms except a sore back and blood in his semen. He went for a scan for an umbilical hernia where they spotted cancer in his spine. Within a week he had spinal surgery with rods and screws as his spine could collapse at any time. We were in complete and utter shock. Everything moved so very quickly from the second the hospital spotted the cancer in his spine. He’s on hormone treatment and is due to start hard core chemo within the next few weeks.  We have been told he could have years ahead of him. Does anyone have any good news where this is true?

• Yes it can be true. My Wife was diagnosed  with breast cancer in 2005, she had chemo and radio therapy, and was told the cancer was in remission, but unfortunately she was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in December 2018, the prognosis wasn’t good, maybe months.

but with so much love and support and her utter strength to fight, she managed 3 years, we all thought she might even fight it, as she was doing so well, but eventually she lost the battle on 17th July 2021. So yes, stay positive, stay strong, have faith.

thinking of you x

Sweat Linda You are my best memory, You are all of my best memories

• Try if you can to focus on the positive, I know it's not easy. My husband was diagnosed with lymphoma last October and was given 6 months. Last week his blood results was very good that the doctor even told him to badger our GP for him to push to have my husband's hip replacement operation which seemed to be cancelled with his prognosis. I was diagnosed in 2000 with breast cancer with 15 lymph nodes affected and I'm still here :)

Stay strong, and know that miracles can work out.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Staying afloat

Yes definitely.  My father-in-law had prostate cancer.  In his case, they told him the treatments would gain him 5 years.  But within the 5 years new treatments were developed that could gain him up to another 5 years and he went on those.  And then it happened again with developing new treatments and so on…. He lived 20 years and died at 92 when the cancer was still in remission.  As our doctor says, “Hope for the best, plan for the worst.”

• Linda was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005, had intensive chemo and radio therapy, really took a heavy toll on her body, then she went into remission, when the secondary cancer appeared in 2018, she refused chemo, she wouldn’t go through it again, she had cancer drugs, but obviously not as effective as chemo and radio therapy, but we all honoured her wishes, even though we didn’t agree. Can’t help wondering if she’d have got longer if she’d had the Chemo and RT.

Cold sweatCold sweatCold sweat

Sweat Linda You are my best memory, You are all of my best memories