Life on hold

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Since my husbands cancer diagnosis two months ago I feel like life has stopped really. We had holidays planned which we have had to cancel, we can only go out for a couple hours as he’s feels so tired so quickly. I had my own plans to start group activities and volunteer but now I can’t do these as we run a business from home so my spare time is taken up with helping him more than ever. Is it wrong to feel guilty because I can’t continue with my own things. I feel that I should be here 24/7. He is mobile and drives but since he was really ill in hospital with sepsis I don’t want to be away for too long. Everything is in limbo. Our two adult children still live at home and I feel like it is me solely responsible for them as my husband doesn’t seem interested in anything but the cancer. It’s hard some days I feel very alone. My family all live in the main land and we live on the IOW so we don’t see them very often. I don’t know am I being selfish.

• Hi and welcome to our community though so sorry to hear about your husband.

First and foremost - no you are not being selfish but you are perhaps at one of the most difficult points of the journey between diagnosis and treatment plan is really hard and everyone on here will recognize where you are - hopefully we will make you feel more alone because there are a lot of us here.

If we look at Your feelings when someone has cancer I know I recognize a lot of the feelings I went through - I bet your children feel the same too and it might help you all to look at Talking about cancer

Sepsis is really frightening - my wife had this and ended up in a coma in intensive care and that was before they even diagnosed the cancer - actually they were so convinced her problem was cancer they almost missed this.

We really enjoy visiting the IOW and of course it is really close to the mainland but does sometimes feel like a bit of a different world.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge