Cancer has killed our relationship

• 12 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Please bear with me. I dont know who else to talk to.

My partner was diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer in Dec 20. In Jan 21 he had a radical laryngectomy  and has since had chemo and radiotherapy.

I am and have been with him 100% of the way.  I can see the effect it has had physically and mentally. I have been there through all the lows.

I lost myself, I was his carer, nurse, driver, advocate, defender everything. I dont think he sees this. I stayed away from on family to protect him from covid. 

He cannot accept he is cancer free, he definitely cannot accept the laryngectomy and its real life effects. He has become so negative. He lives in a bubble of misery.

I dread coming home, I work full time and have become a grandma recently and those babies are my happy place!

He has pushed everyone away, he can't empathise with what anyone else may be going through. I used to defend him for it!!

I have broke, he threw such a tantrum a few weeks ago, throwing his bag at me, smashed his trutone at the wall, raging he wants to be dead..I didn't say anything just got up and went home.

Since then nothing apart from collecting the dog. He has no idea he has destroyed me.  When I have asked how his psychology appointments are..he says that they say all his reactions and feelings are ok and other people should accept this is him!!

Where did my partner, friend, soul mate go??

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh I’m so sorry.   You’ve been through the wringer and are still being wrung.  I can relate to the “he has no idea he has destroyed me.”  That is how I feel too.  My husband can only see his own needs and his own anger.  It feels terrible but I have realised it can’t be fixed.  So that makes me sad, but at least I’m no longer exhausting myself constantly trying new approaches to resolve his issues.  I hope there is hope for your relationship that others have suggested- healing with time.  That is something to hope and pray for, so I will.  But I also in another post just said sometimes when people are trying to see a hopeful outcome it makes me angry that they are not listening.  So I am listening and sympathising and hoping you find peace.

• Hi, Strugglin,

Meet my relative, who was diagnosed with bladder and prostate cancer seven years ago.

After hormone treatment, radiotherapy and surgery he was given the best news possible about three and a half years ago. But he is still obsessed with cancer. He weighs himself obsessively; every time he feels under the weather, the cancer has 'come back'; it's not a case of 'if' his annual check-up scan finds metastases but 'when'; if he has a blood test, no other event in the household gets a look-in until the results come back; everything - and I mean everything - is noted down in a diary (which, admittedly, was no bad thing before his surgery as he was sent to a new consultant who saw an entry in the diary and was horrified that the problem had not been spotted earlier).

My relative doesn't rant and rave but his obsession with his cancer, and the insistence that the entire household must revolve around the cancer that was treated several years ago, is absolutely exhausting. I understand why he feels as he does - cancer is (very) scary and his treatment was prolonged and gruelling - but it would be nice if just once he would seem to appreciate just how 'lucky' he is compared to so many other people who receive a cancer diagnosis.

Sorry I can't be more constructive and come up with tips that might change anything for you, but I just hoped that knowing that you're not alone in suffering the side-effects of someone else's cancer diagnosis might help you even just a little bit.