Wife or Personal Assistant ?

• 4 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Does anyone feel like this?  Since my husband's diagnosis nearly a year ago  it seems like I am more his personal assistant than his wife.  I arrange and take him to all his appointments as he doesn't drive.  I make sure he has his medication for his heart and collect it on time as well as the medication for my parents.  I'm trying to do this as well as holding down a full time job and looking after my elderly parents.  Since diagnosis his personality has changed which I understand as he has a lot do deal with, but, so do I.  We are in our mid 50s and will have been married 3 years in July.  I miss the intimacy. Am I being selfish ?  

• You are absolutely not being selfish! I am also doing all the running around and it's exhausting. I wish I had better news but I am 2 years into this horrendous battle and I had to reduce my hours to part time in order to support everyone around me. My advice...be kind to yourself. Take the opportunity to see a friend for coffee or go for a walk. It's important that you have the headspace to deal with what each day brings you. We are only in our 40s and have a young family...it's so unfair. You are not alone x

• You're not selfish at all.  We all have needs as humans and if they are not met we don't function very well.  Please take some time for yourself.  Is there anyone that can take him to his appointments or take some responsibility once a week? It is incredibly exhausting.  My husband's cancer has progressed.  After surgeries and chemo and trial drug the cancer spread and the tumours have grown.  He has pain, lost weight, insomnia, then sleeps all day.  He is grieving.  I don't like being vulnerable but I finally opened up and told others I had a bad week.  Maggies has been very helpful if there is one near you?  Hang in there and do something for yourself if even only 5 minutes at a time.

• Thank you for your advice xx