I'm just not coping

• 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

My beautiful wife of 37 years was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer between Christmas and new year and also suffered a massive stroke in early January robbing her of her speech and use of her right arm. She has battled hard for the past 3 months but has deteriorated rapidly in the past few weeks and is now in a hospice. The thing that hurts so much is that she can't tell me how's she's feeling or what she wants and the frustration in her eyes is killing me. I'm so emotionally wrecked just now and feel I'm at a breaking point of not being able to cope. I have wonderfully supportive family but they have their own lives and family as a distraction at this terrible time whereas all I have in my life is Fiona and I'm going to lose her very soon.... How am I going to cope in the next few days with such a broken heart 

• Hi Petrifiedandlost

a warm welcome to the carers group. I am so sorry to hear about your wife. Life is beyond cruel at times. I really do feel for you both.

I wish I had some magic words of wisdom to take away some of the pain and heartbreak but sadly I don't. What I can say though is that this group is very supportive so please reach out anytime. There's always someone around here to listen, everyone understands as a lot of us are in similar situations. There's even virtual hugs on offer when they're needed too. You're not alone.

It’s always good to talk so please also remember you can call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Stay strong. You're coping so much better than you give yourself credit for here. I'm sending you a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Petrifiedandlost,

My dad has MDS and I see him deteriorating before my eyes so I can fully appreciate what you’re going through. I am always around it you need to chat, and as mentioned previously by Wee Me I too send you a huge virtual hug Heart

Nicola xx