Husband's ill - continue working Y or N?

• 8 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Hello everyone, I'm writing with a question about what the right thing is to do about working whilst your spouse is in treatment? I'm very confused and it would be really helpful to know how others arrange their work lives whilst going through supporting a loved one with cancer? My husband has just been diagnosed with bowel cancer. We've been told he'll have chemo for somewhere between 3 - 6 months beginning in the next few weeks.  I'm going through the expected emotional roller coaster. His liver and lungs are clear, and the consultant says he thinks they removed all the visible tumour. 

Right now, I'm off from work on full pay so I can tend to things at home and support him. I'm handling the usual food/laundry/comforts of home and also giving him medicine, injections, helping him with walking, listening to his worries, being as good and loving a partner as I can. We do not have any family near by - he's not close to his family and mine are all in another country - so it really comes down to me to do everything. 

I work for a large multinational company, and have been off on full pay this past month. But the month is coming to an end and so I'm straining to try to figure out what to do next. I have the option to take time off, with some pay, for up to 6 months. I also have the option to renegotiate my role (lighter duties, more flexible hours). And there are probably other options I haven't thought of. The problem is that I don't know what I want, I don't know what his needs will be in the next phase and what chemo will be like, will he be shattered? Will he need more of me? And furthermore, and I don't know what MY needs will be. I'm terribly upset right now and I need time to look after myself. With all that we're going through, it's not easy to keep my anxiety and worries in check. 

Part of me wants to put work aside completely, and be fully available to him for as long as he needs me. I don't really want the stress of my work, it's a very difficult job with lots of challenges and takes a lot out of me.  But another part of me wonders if I'll regret making him and his cancer my whole world. Will I feel like I've given up too much? We are both in our late 50s, and were starting to talk about retirement in the next few years, but I get some important benefits from work (like private medical insurance) that I'd prefer to hang on to right now in case he needs it.

Can anyone share how they figured out what to do about work when going through their partner's illness, and whether there's anything you did that was really helpful - or not helpful - when figuring out how to blend work with a seriously ill partner? Anything you regret (or don't regret?) Thank you so much for any insights, I'm lost here and desperate for some clarity. 

• Hello Rosie

I am sorry to read that your husband has been diagnosed with bowel cancer, but it is good to read that he has had all the visible tumour removed and other areas are clear. 

With regards to work, this really isn't something that anyone else can decide for you, I think there are many aspects that need to be considered and as you have rightly said, this includes what it is that you need / want. 

My husband was diagnosed terminal osophageal cancer back in May 2020, and I was actually at work the day he phoned from the hospital to tell me of his diagnosis, I have been lucky enough to have a flexible working arrangement, starting early or late as needed, and personally found that by doing this I was able to support my husband whilst also maintaning some control in a situation that I otherwise have no control over.  My husband, thankfully reacted extremely well to treatment, having very little in the way of side effects and he responded well also and has far surpassed his prognosis. 

I am still working, things have become the new "normal" he too has returned to working 3 days a week at home, whilst undergoing treatment every fortnight.  

I love my job, and I would drop it in an instance if my husband was to be in a situation where I needed to be with him 24/7, but that is not what is needed now, so I will continue to work. 

If your husband is independant it is unlikely that you will be able to be with him whilst he is undergoing treatment (my husband says " you would be bored silly sitting there for 5 or 6 hours waiting for me"  

For you, it is earlier days, but none of us know what is around the corner,  if you love your job and your husband is independant, see whether you can cope going back a few days a week and slowly increase your hours if everything is good... Only you know what is good for you. 

Good Luck with your decision, and to your husband with his treatment 

Take Care of both of you

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • Hi Rosie. 

Im sorry to read of your husbands diagnosis and pleased there is treatment starting soon. 

My husband was diagnosed in June 21 with stage 4 terminal lung cancer. I've been off sick since then caring for him and so glad I've not had to worry about or fit work into every day alongside being his only carer 24/7.

I can't lie and say its been easy. It's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

It's going to take your strength, love and compassion to get you both through his treatment.

Im.thankful for having such an understanding employer. Last Friday my husbands prognosis changed to weeks, maybe a couple of months. Devastated doesn't even begin to describe how this feels for me, work has to wait now as I try to gather enough strength emotionally and physically and spend these final days making each one as special as it can be for us both.

Wishing you all the luck in the world for your husbands treatment and a positive outcome once its over. x

• Hi Rosie24

so sorry to hear about all that you are going through. 

I'll second what Lowe has said below - hard as it is, you need to decide what's best for you yourself. I'd suggest having a chat with your boss as a first step.

I'm supporting my husband through his stage 4 brain tumour journey. We've known from the outset that his diagnosis was terminal but I have kept working  full time so far. Like you I work for a large firm (a bank) but have been able to work from home with only the occasional day in the office. This has given me the flexibility to cover appointments and be there in case he needs me. Work has also kept me focused. I struggle more with the whole thing on days I don't work than I do while at work.

I'm not kidding myself, I know the day will come when I need to step back for a few weeks/months but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. 

Many folk have told me I'm crazy for still working but at the end of the day it's my personal choice. You need to take care of yourself through this journey too. Take the "me time" to recharge your batteries. It's not selfish, it's essential.

sending you a huge virtual hug. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Rosie, sorry to hear you and your husband are going through a tough time. It is a difficult decision and you can’t know what things are going to be like so can you defer doing anything irrevocable for now? Sounds like you have great employers!

In my experience it’s not the practical side if things but the mental which is hard to deal with. My husband has been on a gruelling journey with advanced prostate cancer for four years (he was 60 and I was 59). To start with I carried on working , just taking time off during treatment (op and then chemo). But when it became clear that his cancer wasn’t curable my priorities started to change. Although he didn’t need me around him all the time for practical reasons he did get down working alone from home so I reduced my hours. We also built more fun into our lives! When I started to find I just didn’t have the mental energy to do it all so I gave up work altogether two years ago. But I’ve been busy with local volunteering and a small bit of consultancy so I’ve had things to do that aren’t cancer. And we have had loads of small trips away, often with friends who are also going through life changes. Even during chemo we’ve been able to get away and do things that are important to us.

I really hope your husband’s treatment is successful and you can carry on your lives without this cloud hanging over you. The only thing I can say based on my own experience is you don’t have to make an all or nothing decision now, we all need to feel our way into this new future.

All best wishes

Jane

• Thank you Lowedal, Appreciate your thoughts, thank you for sharing about your experiences. It really helps to hear how others are taking on the challenges. All the best, Rosie

• Thank you Happy Camper, it sounds like you are doing a great job of keeping a good balance and making sure you're taking time to do the things that matter for you. Especially helpful is that you don't make an all or nothing decision. I'm trying to stick to shorter time horizons, and not think too far into the future because yes, things keep on changing. All the best to you and your husband. Rosie

• Thank you Crystal Mayze. Thank you for taking time to reply to my question.  I am so sorry to hear about your husband's prognosis, what devastating news for you both. What a difficult time you are going through. I send all my best wishes for you both. Rosie

• Hello Rosie, I concur with what everyone else has said here. My husband is in his early 50’s and was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney cancer in Oct 2020. As he was really ill I stayed off work but as his condition improved, I went back after 3 months. Initially it was fine and went well, work was very supportive and I coped well. He then had a few setbacks and his prognosis isn’t good, it was at this time I decided to take early retirement and enjoy the time we have left, however long that may be. I am older than my husband and after 41 years in the NHS, in a middle management role I was ready to move onto the next phase of my life with him at the centre. It really hasn’t been a hardship to leave that career behind and enjoy our life of walks with the dogs, dinners with the family and the odd weekend away, but I do miss my work from time to time. I think this is a very personal decision and is dependent on many things, I can only say to go with what feels right for you now and if your situation changes reassess and adjust. That is the mantra of my life now that cancer has entered it, take a day at a time, reassess and adjust. Talk  to your work, mine were fabulous even though we were in the middle of a pandemic, I couldn’t have asked for more support. It’s amazing the flexibility there is now in the workplace. Be honest with yourself too if it becomes too much, reach out and ask for help. It is there, you just have to ask. Wishing you all the best whatever you decide,