Partner's change in personality since cancer

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Sorry for the rant everyone but feeling quite low today. My husband's personality has changed so much since he finished treatment for stage 4 mouth cancer in August 21.  His recovery has been very challenging with 4 admissions to 4 different hospitals for biopsies since December 21(all OK thank goodness).   In recent weeks he has developed Anemia and depression which is now successfully being treated.   But he has gone from a loving husband who would always put others first to someone who is completely different from prediagnosis to being totally self obsessed and really uncaring. 

I have been in bed for the past  3 days  really unwell with Noravirus.To keep him safe  I have  isolated myself to 1  room in our house. When I go to the bathroom I spray every surface I touch with bleech.  Obviously I have made it clear to him to keep away from me as I don't want him to get it. But all he does is shout from the bottom of the stairs is"you this that is bad it is nothing to what I have gone through! ".  

This may be true of course but he is completely uninterested in asking me do you need any meds or are you OK. I cannot tell you how different this is to how he would have reacted before getting cancer and now he just seems completely self  obsessed with his own health and could not care less about me or anyone else when  when they get ill. Does anyone else on here experience this with their partner. If so how do you  cope with it?  Thank you for reading. 

• Hi @welshpony - so sorry to hear that you have norovirus and so it is zero wonder that you feel low.

Unfortunately cancer does sometimes affect people in the way you describe, partially of course because in the "real" world nobody talks about cancer - despite the stats saying nowdays 1 in 2 people will face cancer in their lifetime. What we quite often hear on here is talk about carers feeling selfish for putting their needs in the pot too - sometimes however we must if we are not to break.

I came close to collapse when I walked in to my local Maggies centre and they sat patiently and listened to me quite literally cry my  story out. They helped me form a short term plan in to what had to give and get me back on my feet. Later I did a living with less stress course with them - got to understand a bit more about how I was helping to increase my own levels of stress and tps about how to stop that.

Well done for reaching out on here - not a rant at all, just someone in need reaching out for a friend. We can all do with a friend when we are in need - I know I did.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Steve

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply I really appreciate it. Your reply  has really reassured me although after posting I did feel a bit selfish for the post  being only about me especially after the ordel my husband has been through. 

I have learnt from this cancer journey that the psychological impact of cancer for both  patients and their carers is enormous and a large part of this awful experience. It is so reassuring to know that cancer can affect some people like this and now explains why my husband behaves like this.  I can learn to accept it is the cancer and not him. 

I think I was feeling so low because this virus has absolutely nocked me for six but today thankfully it is now starting to get better .  I cannot tell you how helpful this website is.  Just to know there are  other on here who  know exactly what this experience is like  makes all the difference. Many thanks once again.

Welshpony (Caroline) 

• Hi . I hope you have recovered from noro now. I just want to say I completely get where you are coming from. I found seeking support elsewhere in the form of friends and family best to begin with. Then talking it through with my wife about how I felt.

It's not perfect now as my wife is still recovering from her experience following the treatment and multiple surgeries. She's also got early menopause to deal with which is knocking her for six. I find it hard sometimes not to think of her as a hyperchondriac the way she reacts with each new sensation she feels. It's exhausting at times.

By the sounds of it, your husband needs to speak with someone to deal with his view. He sounds angry to me with the "nothing compared to what I've been through" comment. It's not a competition.

I hope things have improved for you anyway. <<Hugs>>