Hospice

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hey- not sure what to say really. 

Here I sit- a glass of something at the ready. Alone as he has been sent to the local hospice to hopefully get a grip on his severe pain. 

My husband has lung cancer which has spread to his adrenals and bones. They haven't been able to get on top of the pain though the immunotherapy has done well holding the cancer at bay- but the pain in his bones is just all consuming. 

He's been there for 2 nights now. They have increased his morphine a lot and also his pregabalin and naproxen for nerve pain. But now they are planning on putting him on a fentanyl patch on Sunday night if the increased morphine hasn't knocked it on the head. I have read that it's 100 times stronger than morphine! Just worried, also hopeful that it could actually do the trick and give him a little quality of life hopefully!?

I feel so overwhelmed and sad and exhausted and anxious. 

You know, I am a huge fan of the hospice and soooo know I also needed a break- but now that he's there, I kinda wish he was home with me doing everything again. (KEY WORD- KINDA) 

Just touching base with you all- people who know how this all feels more than most. 

Thanks for being here-

T.

• Hey MamaT,

My husband is also currently in Hospice, but is likely coming home next week with stronger pain meds (prostate cancer turned bone cancer and now in his bone marrow - palliative care only and terminal), but after over 2 years of deep depression and slowly worsening symptoms he is now quite weak and will need constant care when he comes home.

However, after the stress of dealing with his depression on top of his cancer, I have used the time that he has been in the hospice to recharge my own batteries as I have come to realise that they were sorely depleted. I have spent days with my friends, sisters, children and grandchild.  I'll admit that I have unashamedly enjoyed this time, knowing that my husband is being well cared for, and knowing that I will be better able to pick up the mantle again when he comes home, possibly for the final time.

I hope you can find a way to enjoy your own time before your husband comes back.  It sounds as though you've earned it.  As you say, we all know how it feels to be the primary carer for a cancer sufferer, and you deserve this break as much as your husband deserves to be pain-free.